The power of philanthropy: Faculty and staff share why they give
UM-Dearborn faculty and staff share why they give to the university.
Not every great philanthropist is a household name.
While large donations get a lot of attention, the truth is that gifts big and small make a huge difference.
Some of our greatest philanthropists include the faculty and staff at UM-Dearborn who have made gifts over and above the generosity of their daily work. More than 17,000 faculty, staff and retirees have made gifts university-wide in the past five years, supporting more than 3,000 different funds.
Here, UM-Dearborn faculty and staff donors share their perspectives on the power of philanthropy.
- “I give because UM-Dearborn is preparing students to make the world a better place. I can’t imagine a better reason than that.” — Amy Finley, director of student success, who supports the student food pantry, Alternative Spring Break projects and other student projects.
- “I give to UM-Dearborn because I’ve seen first-hand how scholarships make a real and lasting difference in the lives of our students.” — Susan Gedert, CASL communications editor and alumni affiliate coordinator, who supports the CASL Alumni Affiliate scholarship.
- “Giving to UM-Dearborn is the best way to directly affect the community we live in.” — Noel Hornbacher, director of financial services, who supports athletics.
- “I want to encourage a new generation of students to reach their goals. Having been on the receiving end of a scholarship in my own undergraduate years, I think it’s important to pay it forward.” — Susan Baker, Czarnecki Collegiate Professor of Accounting, who supports scholarship funding, department development funds and the student honor society.
- “Help out whenever you can—a little money can go a very long way.” –Susan Everett, chair, Department of Education, who supports the CEHHS Curriculum Knowledge Center.
- “I give to UM-Dearborn because I’m proud to come back each day and help our students discover the Dearborn Difference for themselves.” — Kristin McDonough, assistant director, Office for Student Engagement, who supports the College of Business, CASL/MPA, Forever Grateful Scholarship, Ronald Hobbs, Jr. Scholarship and the Ally Ash “DJ Alley Cat” Memorial Endowed Scholarship.
- “If we want our students and alumni to give to UM-Dearborn, then we need to lead by example.” — Bruce Maxim, associate professor of computer and information science, who supports high school outreach programs through the Department of Computer and Information Science.
- “I made my first gift to UM-Dearborn this year. A gift of any size can make a world of difference to our students.” — Tyler Guenette, Opportunity Scholars success coach, who supports the Opportunity Scholars Program.
- “Everywhere I look, I see amazing projects and research. It’s easy to find something to financially support at UM-Dearborn.” — Barbara Kriigel, associate director of user and technical services, Mardigian Library, who supports the Mardigian Library Fund, Mardigian Library Student Assistant Scholarship Fund as well as the Voice/Vision Holocaust Survivor Oral Histories Project.
These are just a few of the many UM-Dearborn faculty and staff donors who make a difference. Every gift collectively creates opportunities for students, employees and members of our community. Faculty, staff and retirees can give to any part of the university they find important, from scholarships and academics to research and beyond during Give from Within––the faculty, staff and retirees fundraising campaign.