Committees, Reports, & Membership
Currently active faculty committees: charge, structure, membership, and reports
Faculty Grievance Panel
The Faculty Grievance Panel (FGP) shall consist of nine tenured faculty members and two librarians for a total of eleven. Five voting members for each case are selected (one from each college and one at-large member) from among these eleven FGP members. The sixth member of the FGP shall be the non-voting, ex-officio Faculty Grievance Mentor (Vice Chair of Faculty Senate).
The FGP shall consist of tenured faculty members, appointed by the Faculty Senate Council in September in accordance with written rules formulated by that body. Membership on the FGP shall be allotted as follows: College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (CASL), three members; College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS), College of Education Health and Human Services (CEHHS), College of Business (COB), and the Library shall each have two members. FGP members shall serve single staggered terms of two years. Vacancies will be filled the same way unless the unexpired term is one year or less--then the replacement member shall serve an additional two-year term.
- Chair, non-voting: Faculty Senate Vice Chair Ronald Stockton (CASL)
- Francia Martinez, CASL (term expires 12/31/2019)
- Stephane Spoiden, CASL (term expires 12/31/2020)
- Paul Draus, CASL (term expires 12/31/2021)
- Sang-Hwan Kim, CECS (term expires 12/31/2019)
- Dohoy Jung, CECS (term expires 12/31/2020)
- Chris Burke, CEHHS (term expires 12/31/2020)
- Seong Hong, CEHHS (term expires 12/31/2020)
- Kamalesh Kumar, COB (term expires 12/31/2020)
- Vivek Singh, COB (term expires 12/31/2021), Alternate Zhixin (Jason) Liu
- Julia Daniel-Walkuski, LIB (term expires 12/31/2019)
- Barbara Bolek, LIB (term expires 12/31/2019)
Faculty Mentoring and Development Committee (inactive as of AY 2018-19)
The Faculty Mentoring and Development Committee works with the Faculty Senate and the Provost to encourage and facilitate mentoring of new faculty and the continued development of all faculty members.
The Faculty Mentoring & Development Committee is currently inactive.
Past Committee Reports:
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2016-2017
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2014-2015
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2011-2012
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2010-2011
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2009-2010
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2008-2009
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2007-2008
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2006-2007
- Mentoring Committee Annual Report 2005-2006
Promotion and Tenure Committee
Charge of the Committee
There shall be a permanent standing Promotion and Tenure Committee to advise the Provost on promotion and tenure matters". (The University of Michigan-Dearborn Campus By-Laws, Article IV.5., June 19, 2014).
Effective for the 2019-2020 academic year, the Faculty Senate Promotion and Tenure Committee at the University of Michigan-Dearborn will advise the provost in a similar manner as the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor’s Tenure, Promotion, and Professional Development Committee (TPP). The committee shall meet in March with the goal of providing advice and recommendations to the provost no later than the end of April for improving the promotion and tenure process on the University of Michigan-Dearborn campus. In addition, each academic year, the provost shall provide specific charges or goals to the committee for the purpose of either advising or making recommendations regarding specific policies and/or procedures related to the promotion and tenure process.
Composition of the Committee
In fall term of each academic year, Faculty Senate Council selects nine tenured faculty members to serve on the Promotion and Tenure Committee representing all colleges. The sitting Vice Chair of Faculty Senate will serve as non-voting chair. Except for the chair, members serve three-year terms.
The committee is advisory to the provost, and the provost may attend all meetings in an ex-officio capacity.
Selection of the Committee
Members will be chosen by lot by Faculty Senate Council; at no time will any member or alternate be administratively appointed.
The membership will maintain the following priorities:
- Membership includes: two each from the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (CASL); the College of Engineering and Computer Sciences (CECS); the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences (CEHHS); and the College of Business (COB).
- Because continuity and stability on the committee is desirable, selection and appointment should allow for turnover of about one-third of the committee each year. The Faculty Council may adjust terms of committee service to facilitate continuity and balance.
- Seats will be filled by a random draw of eligible faculty from each college.
Scheduling and Notification
The Promotion and Tenure Committee chair will notify those selected for service and will also inform the provost of the faculty members selected to serve on the committee. Working with the Provost's Office, the chair will schedule and announce necessary meeting dates as early as possible.
- Chair, non-voting: Ronald Stockton, Faculty Senate Vice Chair (Term expires 08/31/2020)
- Ali Bazzi FP, CASL (Term expires 12/31/2019), alternate Dan J Swift AP
- Ron Stockton FP, CASL (Term expires 12/31/2020), alternate Kris Bandyapadhyay FP
- Pravasnu Mohanty FP, CECS (Term expires 12/31/2021), alternate Bruce Maxim FP
- Kiumi Akingbehin FP, CECS (Term expires 12/31/2019), alternate Nilay Chakraborty AP
- Gail Luera FP, CEHHS (Term expires 12/31/2020), alternates Bonnie Beyer FP, Kim Killu FP
- Paul Fossum FP, CEHHS (Term expires 12/31/2020), alternate Kim Killum FP
- Aaron Ahuvia FP, COB (Term expires 12/31/21), alternate Barb Klein FP
- Vivek Singh FP, COB (Term expires 12/31/19), alternate Kevin Kobelsky AP
Research Support Committee
To evaluate faculty proposals for research support, to allocate funds, to act as a screening committee for sponsored research proposals and to act as a policy advisory group with respect to campus research issues for the Director of Research Administration and for the Faculty Senate. The committee shall include 1 member from COB; 2 members from College of Health, Education, and Human Services; 1 member from Beh Sci; 1 member from Nat Sci; 1 member from Soc Sci; and 2 members from LCC, LPA, and Math; 1 member from CIS and ECE; 1 member from IMSE and ME; and 1 member or liaison from the Faculty Senate, for a total of 11 members. Terms expire 12/31
- Chair: Ilir Miteza, Associate Provost, ex officio
- John Clifford, CASL-Math & Stat (Term expires 12/31/20), alternate Imran Aijaz
- Nadja Rottner, CASL-LPA (Term expires 12/31/20), alternate Daniel Davis
- Natalia Czap, CASL-SocSci (Term expires 12/31/19)
- Patrick Beauchesnes, CASL-BehSci (Term expires 12/31/19)
- Kaylan Kondapelli, CASL-NatSci (Term expires 12/31/20), alternate Jin Wang
- Weidong Xiang, CECS-CIS (Term expires 12/31/20)
- Hong-Tae Kang, CECS-ME (Term expires 12/31/19)
- David Hill, CEHHS (Term expires 12/31/20)
- Paul Fossum, CEHHS (Term expires 12/31/21)
- Yi-Su Chen, COB (Term expires 12/31/19), alternate Hung-Chung Su
- *Elif Izberk-Bilgin, COB (Term expires 12/31/2021), alternate Janice Molloy
* Faculty Senate Liaison
- Research Support Committee Annual Report 2017-2018
- Research Support Committee Annual Report 2016-2017
- Research News Report 2016-2017
- Research Support Committee Annual Report 2015-2016
- Research News Report 2015-2016
- Research Support Committee Annual Report 2014-2015
- Research Support Committee Annual Report 2013-2014
- Research News Report 2013-2014
- Research News Report 2012-2013
- Research News Report 2011-2012
- Research Support Committee Annual Report 2009-2010
- **Reports handled by Patricia Turnbull, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP)
Charge: (1) to advise Enrollment Management, Student Affairs, and the Faculty Senate on standards and procedures for admission and registration of students, financial aid, counseling, academic support, and other aspects of student life that relate to the educational process. (2) to work with Financial Aid staff to monitor and distribute scholarship funds to UM-Dearborn students, and to advise the Financial Aid Director and the Faculty Senate on policy matters regarding scholarships. Nine members are needed to review scholarship applications.
- Chair, non-voting: Jennifer Irwin, Financial Aid Officer Senior, ex officio
- Jennifer Proctor, CASL (Term expires 08/31/2021), alternate Nicolas Licata
- Gengxin Li, CASL (Term expires 08/31/2021)
- Mohamed Abouelenien, CECS (Term expires 08/31/2021)
- Taehyun Shim, CECS (Term expires 08/31/2020)
- David Hill, CEHHS (Term expires 08/31/2021)
- Kelly Cai, COB (Term expires 08/31/2020)
- David Wang, COB (Term expires 08/31/2021)
- Carla Brooks, LIB (Term expires 08/31/2019)
Student Media Board
To act in an advisory capacity to the Vice Chancellor for Student Life on any matters pertaining to the operation of student media (Michigan Journal, Lyceum, WUMD-CaFM College Radio, Mobile Sound, Videography).
Membership includes four faculty members, one representing each college, one librarian, and two students appointed by Student Government; the four student media advisors, Dean of Students, and Director of Student Engagement serve ex officio.
- Chair, non-voting: Tyler Guenette, Student Engagement, ex officio
- Jennifer Proctor, CASL (term expires 08/31/2021)
- Paul Watta, CECS (term expires 08/31/2021)
- TBD, CEHHS (term expires 08/31/2021)
- Richard Kent, COB (term expires 08/31/2021)
- Greg Taylor, Faculty Advisor, WUMD College Radio, ex officio
- Jim Gilmore, Faculty Advisor, Campus Video Network, ex officio
- P. F. Potvin, Faculty Advisor, Lyceum, ex officio
- Tim Kiska, Faculty Advisor, Michigan Journal, ex officio
- Susan Estep, Women's Resource Center, Student Affairs, ex officio
- Sarah Nassar, Student Government Representative
- TBD, Student Government Representative
- Julia Daniel-Walkuski, LIB
University Curriculum and Degree Committee
UCDC Graduate Subcommittee
First Year Experience Committee
The First Year Experience Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty Senate that guides the development and implementation of a coherent, innovative, and high quality first-year program that ensures a more collaborative and effective way of managing first-year programming that occurs between Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management, Student Life, and the rest of the campus.
- Co-chair: Holly Sorscher, Academic Affairs: Head of User Services and First Year Experience Librarian (Term expires 12/31/2020)
- Co-chair: Margaret Willard-Traub, Academic Affairs: CASL Composition & Rhetoric (Term expires 08/31/2019)
- Katherine LaCommare, Academic Affairs: CASL Biology (Term expires 08/31/2020)
- Caitlin Finlayson, Academic Affairs: CASL English (Term expires 2019)
- Hyejin Kim, Academic Affairs: CASL Mathematics 
- Brenda Whitehead, Academic Affairs: CASL Psychology (Term expires 08/31/2019)
- Jessica LaGrange, Academic Affairs: Academic Success Coordinator, ex officio
- Linda Dioszegi, Academic Affairs: Senior Advisor START, ex officio
- Amy Finley, Student Life: Dean of Students, ex officio
- Tyler Guenette, Student Life: Assistant Director for Success Programs, ex officio
- Amal Qureshi, Enrollment Management: Interim Coordinator for Orientation, ex officio
- TBD, Student Life: Assistant Director for Student Engagement, ex officio
- Sarah Nassar: Student Government
The UM-Dearborn Community Read is a campus initiative to instill a joy of learning, critical thinking, interdisciplinary collaboration and engagement within our community by coming together through a common campus read. The 2019-2020 Community Read is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot.
Disruptive Student Behavior Committee (ad hoc; charge completed)
This ad hoc committee was charged with drafting policy guidelines for dealing with disruptive student behavior in academic settings; the Disruptive Student Behavior Policy was approved by the Faculty Senate on March 25, 2019.
- Chair: Mitch Sollenberger, Associate Provost
- Hans Czap, CASL
- Ghassan Kridli, CECS
- Stein Brunvand, CEHHS
- Joy Beatty, COB
- Laura Drabczyk, Emergency Management, CARE Team Chair
- Timothy Wiley, Chief of Police and Director of Public Safety