Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UM-Dearborn classes are being held remotely through the end of the semester, Summer I and Summer II. Most campus operations are being conducted remotely and buildings are closed. Before coming to campus please call ahead to determine how services are being delivered. Events have been postponed or canceled, including Spring 2020 Commencement. Pass/fail decision date extended to May 5. For more updates please visit the Coronavirus information page

Who May File a Complaint?

Any person (e.g., faculty, staff, student, visitor, etc.) may report possible discrimination or discriminatory harassment that they experienced while participating in a University program or activity or in their interactions with members of the University community.  Concerns may be brought to the Office for Institutional Equity. 

The University also prohibits retaliation. Any individual should contact the Office for Institutional Equity if they believe they are being retaliated against because:

  • they raised concerns about what they believed to be discriminatory behavior, or
  • they provided information or participated in an investigation of a reported discrimination or discriminatory harassment.

A complaint concerning discrimination, discriminatory harassment or retaliation may be filed with the Office for Institutional Equity.  (online, by email: InstitutionalEquityDearborn@umich.edu or by phone: 313-436-9194).  Reports are received during business hours and urgent situations should be reported to campus safety at 9-1-1 or 313-593-5333.  Individuals with concerns about sexual or gender-based misconduct will find additional helpful information here.

Information About the Process for Addressing Reports and Complaints

Detailed information about the process for addressing reports and complaints may be found in the applicable policy.  The following documents are helpful summaries.

Complainant Information

   Information about filing a complaint against a student 

             (View flowchart for sexual misconduct cases)

   Information about filing a complaint against a faculty member, staff member or third party 

             (View flowchart of process)

Respondent Information

   Information for students who are respondents 

             (View flowchart for sexual misconduct cases)

   Information for faculty members, staff members and third parties who are respondents 

             (View flowchart of process)


Office of Institutional Equity (OIE)

Administration Building (AB)
Back to top of page