Below, please find important updates about changes, not least from previously paper-based processes, that we want to ensure are clearly messaged as we all move to remote operations.
Registration for Courses that Require Permission
(i.e. independent study, directed study, masters projects, masters thesis):
- Once an agreement has been worked out with the instructor, it is the student's responsibility to initiate the process. [CECS and COB students should work directly with the UG/GR advising office or grad program coordinator.]
- The student should start with the appropriate form:
NOTE: Forms must be downloaded and saved before completing.
- The student should complete the student section of the form and forward it to the faculty collaborator. [CECS and COB students should work directly with the UG/GR advising office or grad program coordinator.]
- The faculty member should digitally sign the form (type name in the signature field) and forward it for any necessary signatures or approvals per college policy. [For CECS and COB, the UG/GR advising office or grad program coordinator will coordinate signatures.]
- Once the form has the requisite signatures, it should be sent to either the advisor or grad program coordinator. [CEHHS students should send to firstname.lastname@example.org.]
- In accordance with their current procedures, the advisor or grad program coordinator will enter the approved individualized course on a Google sheet provided by the Office of the Registrar.
- NOTE: the Office of the Registrar does NOT need the form. We simply need an entry on the Google sheet.
- The Office of the Registrar staff will create a class section and assign a CRN for each individualized course.
- The advising office or grad program coordinator will enter an electronic override on behalf of the student.
- The advising office or grad program coordinator will contact the student and provide the CRN.
- The student will be able to register for the individualized course in Banner, using the CRN and electronic override.
For assistance at the college level, please contact:
UG CASL - Marlene Dupree
GR CASL - Marlene Dupree
UG COB - UG advising office - Susan Wells
GR COB - GR advising office - Mary Howard
UG CECS - Lisa Remsing Hall, Lisa Miller
GR CECS - Rebekah Awood, Sherry Boyd, Debi Butler, Amanda Donovan, Elizabeth Edenstrom, Michael Hicks, Kimberly LaPere, Joey Woods
UG CEHHS - advising office - email@example.com
GR CEHHS - advising office - firstname.lastname@example.org
If the instructor’s permission is required and granted, the permission can be granted via email to UMDRegistration@umich.edu from the instructor’s @umich email address.