English Language Proficiency Program
The mission of the English Language Proficiency Program (ELPP) is to provide quality English language education and an orientation to the academic culture of the United States for non-native speakers of Standard American English.
Why Should You Study with the ELPP?
- Quality: The University of Michigan is known all over the world for its high-quality programs. The ELPP is accredited and certified to ensure students get excellent training in English. Courses are taught by highly qualified instructors with lots of experience.
- Diversity: The University of Michigan-Dearborn campus celebrates individual and cultural differences in a highly diverse campus community. We are in the city of Dearborn, a uniquely international city that welcomes and supports all people.
- Affordability: Tuition is very competitively priced to similar programs in the area. Books and course materials are included for free in most classes. A free MELAB (or TOEFLITP) test is offered to students enrolled in standard courses at the end of each semester.
- Small Classes: ELPP classes usually are limited to 6-15 students per class. This gives students a chance to interact deeply with their instructors.
- Safety: The University of Michigan-Dearborn is ranked the #1 safest public university in Michigan.
- Opportunities: ELPP students participate in service learning, where they practice their English with fluent English speakers. There are over 160 student organizations on campus. Sports opportunities and athletic equipment are available to all students. Many social activities are offered for ELPP students every semester.
- Location: Our campus started with a gift of just over 200 acres of land from the Ford Motor Company. It includes beautiful, natural areas for relaxing and studying.
- Support: Many support services are available to students, including tutoring, counseling, immigrations support, and more. The university library and multiple computer labs are available for ELPP students' use.
- Housing: Students can live across the street from campus without the need of a car to get to classes at The Union at Dearborn.
Basic Program Description
The ELPP is primarily designed for students transitioning to college, current college students, and adults who wish to improve their English language and academic skills in preparation for and in support of university study. This program can assist students who do not have an English language proficiency score, who have a proficiency score below admission requirements (see www.umdearborn.edu/internatadmission/), or who only want to improve their English language skills. Special opportunities are available for select groups who may not fit the exact description above (for example, visiting scholars or international high school students enrolled in a summer course that teaches the English needed to fill out an application for an American university).
Provisional admission to University of Michigan-Dearborn undergraduate degree programs is possible for qualified students. If a student has met the academic admission requirements but not the English proficiency requirement, the University of Michigan-Dearborn will allow students to enroll in the English Language Proficiency Program for intensive English studies while granting provisional admission status. Learn more about the additional steps needed to apply to an undergraduate academic program.
19000 Hubbard Drive
Fairlane Center North, Suite 237
Dearborn, MI 48126-2638
4901 Evergreen Rd.
Fairlane Center North, Suite 237
Dearborn, MI 48128
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday; 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday
The English Language Proficiency Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period December 2014 through December 2019 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S. For further information about this accreditation, please contact CEA, 801 North Fairfax Street, Suite 402A, Alexandria, VA 22314, 703.665-3400, www.cea-accredit.org.