Emergency exercise on UM-Dearborn campus Aug. 9
On Tuesday Aug. 9, UM-Dearborn will participate in an emergency preparedness exercise, which will be conducted jointly with the city of Dearborn and Oakwood Hospital. A major portion of the exercise will take place on our campus and will involve a training exercise for a simulated campus emergency.
The exercise is being conducted to evaluate the emergency preparedness of the three organizations. Specific to UM-Dearborn, the areas of Emergency Operations Center implementation, communications and cross-jurisdiction command operations will be tested and evaluated. The purpose of this type of exercise is to provide faculty and staff members responsible for emergency preparedness and keeping the campus safe during an emergency, an opportunity to practice established written procedures. The exercise also provides valuable knowledge to refine and enhance emergency planning.
A few details about the event:
- The exercise will begin at 8:30 a.m. and conclude at approximately 3 p.m.
- The exercise will be conducted primarily near the science building, in parking lot C, and in the Mardigian Library.
- The front half of lot C will be used to stage emergency vehicles and other equipment needed for the exercise.
- There will be emergency vehicles, police officers and fire fighters on campus.
- A communication was sent to students last week.
- The Office of Admissions and Orientation is aware of the exercise.
- Information about the exercise will be communicated to students participating in orientation in advance of the exercise and on the day of their campus visit.
- Large signs will be posted at the four Evergreen entrances to remind the campus community and visitors about the exercise.
- Signs will also be posted at the entrances to the library and science building regarding the exercise.
- We do not anticipate any disruption of campus operations.
- Local media may be on campus to cover the exercise as a news story.
- The event will take place regardless of weather conditions.
Please contact Laura Drabczyk at email@example.com or 593-4914 in the event you have any issues or concerns regarding campus operations, research obligations or other commitments on campus tomorrow.