If you plan to leave UM-Dearborn to attend another institution, it’s important to inform the Office of International Affairs (OIA) before you go. We can help you make a smooth transition to your new school and keep your visa in compliance. 

F-1 transfer

An immigration transfer is different from an academic transfer: with an immigration transfer, your F-1 record is transferred in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Your international student advisor will help you choose a transfer release date on which the F-1 SEVIS record will be moved to the new institution. Please see more information at Transfers for F-1 Students.

After your transfer, you must begin studying at the new institution within 5 months of completing your studies at UM-Dearborn or at the end of OPT. 

If you decide to cancel a transfer, change the release date, or transfer to a different institution, you must notify the OIA before the transfer release date. Once the transfer release date has been reached, the OIA will no longer have access to your SEVIS record.

Please note:

  • The OIA will take no other actions in addition to the immigration transfer. 
  • You may choose only one transfer school. 
  • Your new institution can only issue a new I-20 after the transfer release date.  
  • Transfers usually take place at the end of the current semester of enrollment, upon completion of studies, or during/after finishing OPT. You may transfer during the post-completion 60-day grace period.
  • To be eligible for a transfer, you must maintain valid F-1 status.

Required documents

Please bring these items with you to the OIA:

Transfer-out SEVIS documentation

  • Copy of admission letter from your new institution
  • Transfer-in form from new school (if applicable)
  • Copy of current I-20
  • Print-out of I-94
  • If you are currently on post-completion OPT, attach a copy of the EAD card

Transfer-in SEVIS documentation

  • Copy of admission letter from the UM-Dearborn
  • Financial Affidavit form with your financial letter(s)
  • Transfer Clearance Form from the UM-Dearborn
  • Copy of current I-20
  • Print-out of I-94

J-1 transfer 

Please complete the J-1 Transfer Out form and bring it to the OIA.

Under the SEVIS system, the current J program and the transferring J program will work together to complete the transfer process. The OIA will contact your UM-Dearborn host department supervisor to confirm that your transfer is approved by the new department.

Office of International Affairs

Room 108
The Union at Dearborn
Back to top of page