Engaged Learning Guidelines

These guidelines provide definitions, guidance, and instructions for UM-related, off-campus engaged learning activities for the Dearborn campus, including any that may involve domestic travel. For international travel guidance, please see Global Michigan.

All engaged learning activities must receive approval from the appropriate college-level administrator or supervisor. Dearborn students participating in engaged learning activities are required to register with the University of Michigan's Student Travel Registry for international and domestic travel that relates or otherwise connects in any way (e.g., for a class, engaged learning activity, etc.).

What are UM-related, engaged learning activities? 

Off-Campus engaged learning activities take place off campus and engage students in real-world problems, issues and opportunities in a variety of settings. 


  • Engaged learning activities include activities such as internships and co-ops (at both domestic and international locations), Semester in Detroit, academic service learning, student teaching, community-based learning and research, community engagement efforts and other co-curricular activities, research in external, non-University of Michigan laboratories, clinical placements in the health sciences and psychology, etc.
  • Off-campus engaged learning activities are considered UM-related if the student meets any of the following criteria: 
    • Receives UM credit for the experience 
    • Participates in an off-campus engaged learning activity that is UM-managed or organized 
    • Participates in an engaged learning activity that is necessary to achieve a degree requirement 
    • Participates in an engaged learning activity organized by a Sponsored Student Organization or an engaged learning activity that is formally sanctioned by a UM unit as a Sponsored Event 
    • Receives funding from a UM unit or receives funds managed by the UM for their engaged learning activity. 
  • An off-campus engaged learning activity is considered UM-managed or organized when a UM unit, faculty or staff member is involved in creating, funding, or approving the activity, or coordinating the applications and selection of participants. Note that situations where UM is merely certifying a student’s enrollment status are not subject to this guidance. 

Office of the Provost

1080 - Administration Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-593-5030