Get information on access to buildings and rooms during and after business hours.

Access to Buildings During Business Hours

During business hours, the university will be open to employees, students, parents, guests, and invitees. Contractors are required to check-in at Facilities Operations located in 1100 Campus Support Services (CSS), 313-593-5270.

Access to Buildings During Non-Business Hours

During non-business hours, access to all university facilities is by key, card access, if issued, or by admittance via the UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety.

UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety will admit a specific individual or group to a building or room after hours, on weekends and holidays only if our office has received a Room and Building Short Term Access Authorization Form from a department no later than 3:00 p.m. of the day prior to the date the facilities are to be used. Authorization forms should be written for an individual or group by the dean, director or department head in charge of the room or area involved and also signed by the department's authorized signer. Persons authorized must not allow non-authorized individuals to enter areas secured by key or card access.

In order to ensure that authorized university individuals are using the facility, UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety personnel may request to see picture identification. Please do not be offended by this request. If you do not have authorized access on file, you will be asked to leave the area.

MCard Door Access

If you are in need of MCard door access contact your Department Access Coordinator (DAC).

Access to Classrooms

Requests to use a classroom should be directed to the Registrar's Office, 313-593-5200.

Building Safety

Building Patrol

Most academic and administrative buildings do not have a UM-Dearborn officer assigned to them. However, University of Michigan-Dearborn officers patrol through the academic and administrative buildings on a regular basis. Officers patrol the campus via foot and in cars. For information about the security protocol for a specific building, contact us at 313-593-9953.

Reporting Unsafe Conditions

UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety includes security considerations in the maintenance of campus facilities via regular communications with Facilities Operations. The campus is maintained in a manner to minimize hazardous situations. We communicate physical safety concerns such as burned out lights or malfunctioning door locks to Facilities Operations. You may report these types of unsafe conditions both on the Main Campus and at Fairlane Center Campus to us by calling 313-593-9953. 

Building Hours & Closures

Building hours may vary depending on events scheduled ahead of time; please check with departments hosting events for details. For specific building hours, check with the individual building managers or contact the University Center information desk at 313-593-6330. Hours may vary due to holidays and according to the campus calendar. Emergencies may necessitate changes or alterations to any posted schedules.

Also, unforeseen circumstances such as power outages or inclement weather may cause closures. Please check UM-Dearborn’s social media channels or website during these times.  

Department of Public Safety

Campus Support Services Building (CSS)
Back to top of page