Online Student Complaint Process

This information will assist out-of-state distance education students in the event they need to file a complaint.

The University encourages students and prospective students to address complaints relating to the institution’s policies and consumer protection issues first with personnel in the office, department, school, or college that led to the complaint alleged.  If needed, senior University administrators may also become involved to help resolve complaints.

  • Complaints about the technology or digital education support should be addressed to the University Coordinator of Digital Education. If the complaint is unresolved, the matter may be escalated to the Associate Provost for Graduate, International, and Online Learning.
  • UM-Dearborn is a participating member in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). Students with unresolved complaints at the University level, and who reside in a SARA state, may contact the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. 
  • Students in non-SARA states may contact the authority in their home state, which may be found on the Web site of the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association.

UM-Dearborn is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding UM-Dearborn’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

If you are a member of the Military or a military spouse, please go to the Military OneSource Postsecondary Education Complaint System.

Digital Education

1100 -
Social Sciences Building (SSB)
Back to top of page