Concern - Assess - Respond - Evaluate
The CARE Team is a multi-disciplinary group that is responsible for:
- Concern regarding disruptive behaviors will be gathered to assess situations involving students.
- Assess and recommend appropriate intervention strategies or disciplinary actions.
- Respond and connect students with needed campus and community resources, and coordinate follow-up to ensure that support was deployed effectively.
- Evaluate ongoing behaviors of students who have displayed disruptive or concerning behavior.
- Centralize collection of concerning student behavior. 'Connect the dots' of disparate problems involving one student that may be known for various faculty, staff, and administrators.
WHAT TO REPORT
What to Report
- Behaviors or threats (direct or implied) that may entail risk or harm to self or others, including but not limited to: self injurious behavior/suicidal thoughts or attempts, aggression toward others, bullying, stalking and hazing.
- Erratic behavior (including online activities), that disrupt the mission and/or normal proceedings of students, faculty, staff, or community, including but not limited to: weapons on campus, significant inappropriate disruption to the community, disturbing electronic media postings, inappropriate behavior in which safety is compromised.
- Belief that an individual's emotional well-being is deteriorating or at significant risk.
- Substance abuse or a mental health concern resulting in the need for medical intervention, including transportation to the hospital.
HOW TO REPORT
How to Report
If you are concerned about a student or observe disruptive behavior, please submit a report to the CARE Team by completing the on-line CARE REFERRAL FORM.
In cases of emergency, reports must contact the University Police Department at 9-1-1 or (313) 593-5333. The CARE Team plays a secondary role in all emergency situations and should be contacted only after making contact with emergency response personnel.
All University of Michigan-Dearborn students are to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct, all university policies, and all local, state and federal laws.
Students are also expected to adhere to the policies and procedures of institutions that they may visit. The university reserves the right to adjudicate any case which a student is alleged to violate any of the above mentioned principles, policies or laws. Further, the university may proceed with a hearing despite pending civil or criminal proceedings. In some circumstances, the university may refer a case for criminal investigation.