A loss of utilities may include either a power outage or a gas leak.
In any circumstance, contact Facilities Operations during business hours at 313-593-5720 or the Department of Public Safety after hours at 313-593-5333.
Actions to Take: Specific Cases
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions given by the University Department of Public Safety or Facilities Management.
- Unplug all electrical equipment including computers and turn off light switches.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments, store chemicals in their original locations, unplug electrical equipment, fully close fume hoods and shut off research gases prior to evacuating.
- Do not light candles or other types of flame for lighting purposes.
- Follow directions given by either the Department of Public Safety or Facilities Management.
- Immediately abandon any equipment being used in or near the area--your personal safety should be your first concern.
- Evacuate to the predetermined assembly area.
- Do not re-enter the building until the "All Clear" has been given.
Trapped in Elevator
- Remain calm and call 9-1-1.
- Do not pry open the elevator doors.
- Wait for emergency personnel to arrive and assist.