The COVID-19 pandemic is forcing all of us to work differently, think creatively and adapt frequently and quickly to new procedures and expectations. We continue to rely on the commitment, flexibility and creativity of faculty and staff to provide the best possible learning experience for our students.
The Summer 2021 Plan
As we move through another substantive and productive academic semester, each of us will need to follow new safety precautions to ensure we keep our community as healthy as possible while making the most of all that UM-Dearborn has to offer.
- This summer we expect less than 7% of classes will be held on campus. These classes continue to be those that require a high-level of student interaction or special equipment.
- Faculty that are interested in planning in-person academic activities (field studies, academic trips, etc) this summer are encouraged to email Mitch Sollenberger with details and for guidance on health and safety requirements.
- Engaged Learning Guidelines have recently been modified to remove the requirement that all engaged learning activities must be “essential.” Program supervisors must still ensure that students participating in engaged learning activities are registering using the UM Student Travel Registry.
- Guests and visitors may be invited into the classroom. Guests should complete the guest health screening prior to coming to campus and the university mask policy must be followed.
Protecting Your Safety
We are following the health and safety guidelines developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state of Michigan, our University of Michigan colleagues and our own Dearborn experts to ensure a safe campus environment for our students, faculty and staff. We’re implementing a number of protocols and will remain flexible and update/add to these based on new guidance. These include a daily health screening, some people wearing masks, maintaining social distance and practicing good personal hygiene. See more details in the Campus Health & Safety Measures area of the website.
Returning to campus
- More staff and faculty will return to work on campus throughout July and August. For staff supervisors will communicate expectations regarding on-campus, hybrid or remote work arrangements.
- All employees working a hybrid or remote schedule will be required to complete and submit a Remote Work Agreement once the work schedule is proven effective and ready to be firmly adopted. Timing of the form completion will be determined by the supervisor.
- On-campus events have resumed in limited spaces. All university policies must be followed when planning and attending events. Space reservations and other event details will continue to be handled by University Unions and Events. A large tent (capacity of 100 guests) will be erected outside of the University Center that may be reserved for events beginning August 15. External guests will be required to complete ResponsiBLUE Guest prior to attending an event on campus. Event organizers must create a pre-registration process for all event attendees.
Campus Building Access
- Academic and research buildings are open Monday – Friday between 8am – 5pm, plus evenings when classes are scheduled. Only one designated screening entrance is open. This entrance is unlocked during the times listed above and screeners confirm the ResponsiBLUE green check. MCard access can be utilized for accessing the building outside of these hours or to access other campus buildings.
- Faculty and researchers may access their offices and labs through designated screening stations during limited hours, listed here. All campus health and safety guidelines must be followed.
- Faculty, staff and students who will be on campus will need to have an MCard. If you have misplaced your card, you will need to obtain a new one. Additional details about obtaining an MCard can be found on the website.
- Faculty can complete recordings on campus to support classroom instruction in the Digital Education Recording Room and the PEC. Appointments are required.
The Mardigian Library continues to support UM-Dearborn students, faculty and staff through a variety of online resources. Librarians and library staff are available for virtual research support and to answer questions during virtual library hours. The Library has a pick-up/return service with all physical materials, including books, loanable tech, and DVDs, available for checkout. All returned items are sanitized before being placed back into circulation.
University Center & Campus Services
- The University Center, a hub for campus activity, will physically reopen with the Credit Union opening August 2 and the Bookstore opening August 16.
- Food service will be available the the Wellness Center will reopen on September 1.
- The university will provide shuttle service between the Main and Fairlane Campuses and common housing locations (The Union at Dearborn, Fairlane Woods, Fairlane Meadows) on a reduced schedule. Updated details regarding shuttle service are available on the shuttle website.
- Parking permits will be required for faculty, staff and students who will be on campus. There will be no fee for parking. Faculty and staff should apply for a permit on the website.
- Details regarding campus services for the fall 2021 term are available on the fall 2021 page.
Coronavirus: What you Need to Know (FAQ)
It is important to note that this information is subject to change as the state of Michigan updates its executive orders as well as when additional guidance for UM-Dearborn campus planning is in place.