Admitted International Students

 Next step after your admission!

This website is designed to help guide you as you prepare to study at the University of Michigan - Dearborn.

Obtain Your UM-Dearborn Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019)

We require you to take the next two steps for issuing Form I-20/DS-2019,

1) Send financial documents to following address of Office of International Affairs, 

2) Sign up and pay for eShipGlobal to have your documents(I-20/DS-2019) shipped to you

Please check OBTAINING VISA & ARRIVAL INFORMATION page for details

Required Documentation Deadlines for Certificates of Eligibility.

New international students are required to submit their financial documentation to the Office of International Affairs by the following deadlines:

Fall semester admits: July 15th

Winter semester admits: November 15th

Summer semester admits: April 15th

E‑mail Account

E-mail account information will be sent to you soon after being admitted. Activate your account based on instructions provided. For more details please check student access page.

Pre-arrival in the United States
Arrival at UM-Dearborn

The closest airport in Michigan to the University of Michigan-Dearborn is Detroit Metropolitan Airport (approximately 14 miles west). We recommend that you take a taxi to the campus or wherever you will be staying.

Taxi available from the luggage pick-up area of the airport.

International students and scholars may enter the United States up to 30 days prior to the beginning date on the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019). Make every effort to arrive on time to attend the International Orientation and to establish yourself before classes begin.

The Office of International Affairs will be happy to welcome you. 

See contact information and immigration check-in for further details. 

Mandatory Immigration Check-In at UM-Dearborn

The Office of International Affairs will provide you valuable information on U.S. immigration policies, health insurance, and how to effectively maintain your F1 or J1 visa status here in the United States.

Follow link for more details

Physical Presence Form

F1 students should fill out and submit this Physical Presence form to the Office of International Affairs in person.

J1 scholars should fill out and submit this Physical Presence form to the Office of International Affairs in person.

Health Insurance

If you are an F-1 or J-1 international student or a J-1 visiting scholar whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan, you are required to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any F-2 or J-2 dependents.  Learn more.

Living in Dearborn, MI

Be prepared for the seasons, money, and more with this guide.

Housing and Transportation
Obtain a Social Security Card and Driver's License
Pay Tuition Bill

Tuition due dates fall on the third Wednesday of the term.  Pay online.

Use the graduate student tuition and fees calculator.

Office of International Affairs

108 -
The Union at Dearborn
Back to top of page