Immigration Check-in and U.S. Government Regulation Program
The Office of International Affairs will provide you valuable information on U.S. Immigration policies, health insurance, and how to effectively maintain your F1 or J1 visa status here in the United States.
Before your F-1 or J-1 status can be activated in the SEVIS government database all new international students (both Undergraduate and Graduate) must complete the:
- Mandatory Immigration Check-in process and attend...
- the U.S. Government Immigration Regulations and Health Insurance Workshop which will provide important information on student visa regulations and international student health insurance policies.
About The Immigration Check-in Process
The Immigration Check-in process is extremely important as it is the first step in officially activating your F1 or J1 status in the SEVIS government database. SEVIS is a web-based system for maintaining information on international nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors in the United States. Failure to complete the mandatory check-in process may result in a loss of immigration status
Mandatory Workshop: Immigration Check-in and Your Health Insurance Plan!
This mandatory workshop event will consist of two very important components:
1) The Immigration Check-in process is the first step in officially activating your F1 or J1 visa status in the SEVIS government database. SEVIS is a web-based system for maintaining information on international nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors in the United States. Failure to complete the mandatory check-in process may result in a loss of your immigration status.
2) During the workshop you will be provided essential information concerning how best to maintain legal F1 and J1 immigration status while here in the United States. During the workshop you will also learn much more about the University of Michigan Blue Care Network (BCN) health insurance plan you will be enrolled in upon the start of the Winter 2020 semester.
Date: Friday, May 8th, 2020
Location: TBD (To be determined)
Time: 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EST
What to Bring to Immigration Check-in
- Valid Passport
- Your original I-20 or DS-2019 document.
- Photo copy of page 1 of your I-20 or DS-2019 document
- Photo copy of your Passport picture page (Color or Black & White, standard size)
- Photo copy of your F-1 or J-1 visa page in your passport (Color or Black & White, standard size)
- Electronic I-94 form (printed AFTER your arrival in the United States)
- Emergency contact information for individual in the United States
- Current living address here in the United States
- And if possible a completed Physical Check-In form
- If you have F-2 or J-2 dependents (spouse and/or children) who traveled with you to the U.S., bring their original passports and I-20 (or DS-2019) forms, photocopies of their visas, photocopies of page 1 of their I-20 (or DS-2019) and a copy of their electronic I-94 forms printed from I-94
Graduate International Student Organization.(GISO)
GISO aims to establish a diverse and inclusive community at the University of Michigan - Dearborn while providing international students with tools to grow professionally and personally. Avenues to achieve this vision include mentorship programs, social, and professional events. Click here to join GISO