Please visit the Coronavirus information site for the latest updates regarding UM-Dearborn's COVID-19 response.

This is your starting point for all things international.

Find your way around

See Maps & Directions to get familiar with UM’s campus and the surrounding Dearborn area.

Learn about the various modes of transportation in and around Dearborn.

Learn about employment in the US

You must have approved work authorization, such as CPT or OPT before getting a job off-campus. 

See what it takes to work in the U.S. as an international student and find a great job.  

Get immigration and Visa support

Know the rules and regulations for keeping your visa current during your stay. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) can help! Get immigration and visa support

Find your community

International students are welcome in any of the 150+ student organizations at UM-Dearborn. These groups are a great opportunity to connect with other students over shared interests, such as culture, religion, volunteerism, and academics.

  • Learn about all UM-Dearborn student organizations at VictorsLink, including the Graduate International Student Organization (GISO). The GISO is a diverse and inclusive group that helps international students grow professionally and personally.
  • Explore the Office of Student Life's resources for student organizations, leadership, inclusion, and service. 
  • Interested in sports? Workout, play, or cheer on a team with the UM-Dearborn Wolverines Athletics!

International student and scholar programs

International Student Mentorship Program

The International Student Mentorship Program pairs new UM-Dearborn international students with current students, staff, and faculty that serve as International Ambassadors and Mentors.

International Ambassadors connect with newly admitted international students ahead of their arrival. Ambassadors provide an initial, tangible connection to campus for new international students, answering questions and providing advice via email, phone, and social media.

Mentors assist new international students in discovering community, on- and off campus! International Mentors are volunteer students, faculty, and staff who connect with new international students once they have arrived on campus and throughout their first year at UM-Dearborn. They help new students form friendships while learning about the university and the region. As a result, new students are connected with resources to support their transition to university life in the USA.

Conversation Circles

Come practice English (and other languages) at Conversation Circles!

Hosted on Fridays in the Mardigian Library, Conversation Circles provides international students with the opportunity to practice conversational English in an informal, supportive environment. At the same time, the program also provides language students with the opportunity to practice their language of study with native speakers from abroad. Therefore, international students and students of foreign languages alike are encouraged to join! 

Conversation Circles sessions are made up of small groups of current students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Each week, the Conversation Circle will focus on a new theme and be hosted by a new Session Leader.

All sessions take place in the Mardigian Library, room 1216.

Conversation Circles Winter, 2020 Session Schedule




January 24

Winter Activities


January 31

Career Readiness


February 7

Culture Shock


February 14



February 21

Coping with Anxiety and Stress


February 28

Where to Go and How to Get Around the Detroit Metro Area During Spring Break


March 6

No Session – Spring Break


March 13

Conflict and Conflict Resolution


March 20

Creative Arts


March 27



April 3

What is my “place” in the World?


You are encouraged to contact Francisco Javier López, Director of International Affairs, with any questions:

Transfer to another institution

If you would like to complete your studies elsewhere, the OIA can help transfer your immigration documentation to another college or university.


Take advantage of your time here to explore the country! Refer to these travel resources for helpful information and to register your travel plans so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency. Check for State Department travel advisories before you go to avoid unnecessary delays.

Within the U.S.

When traveling within the United States, be sure to carry your:

  • Form I-94, used by U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to track your arrival-departure record. This is sometimes called your “registration document.”
  • Passport 
  • I-20 or DS-2019
Outside the U.S.

If you plan to travel outside of the United States:

  • Visit the OIA first. You will need to meet with an international advisor to get an endorsement (travel signature) on your SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019. Upon your return, you will need this document to show that you are active and in good standing with UM-Dearborn. 
  • To obtain your travel endorsement, please complete the OIA Travel Signature Form
  • You must ensure that your passport and visa stamp have at least 6 months of remaining validity at the time of your return. 

For up-to-date information on traveling outside the U.S. and re-entry, please visit the Immigration and Customs Enforcement travel website.

Bring a dependent

To re-enter the country, your dependent spouse or child who is on an F-2 or J-2 visa must also have:

  • A valid travel signature  
  • 6 months remaining validity on their passport 

If your spouse or child needs an F-2 or J-2 visa, follow the procedure for obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019)

Welcome family travelers

Your family members who are not your children or spouse must apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa to visit the U.S. Family members from certain countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days without obtaining a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program.

Additional recommended documents

To help strengthen your B-1/B-2 visa application, we recommend that you provide additional documents to clarify that:

  • The visit is temporary and/or is for a specific occasion (e.g., graduation ceremony)
  • The visitor will be supported financially while visiting the U.S., and 
  • They have ties to their home country. 

Examples include:

  • Proof of employment – a letter from the employer indicating that this individual is currently employed and taking time off, but is due back at their job on a specific date.
  • Proof of property ownership – house, apartment, or a business.
  • Proof of contact with other family members in the home country.
  • Proof of finances – bank statement, stocks, property.
  • A formal letter of invitation (written by you as the F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor) indicating the specific reason for the visit (e.g., graduation, wedding, illness, birth of a child). The letter should include information about the purpose of travel and planned itinerary or schedule. It may also include information about your U.S. immigration status as an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor.

For more information about B-1/B-2 visas, refer to the U.S. Department of State Visitor Visas.

Office of International Affairs

Room 108
The Union at Dearborn
Back to top of page