Additional Services Provided

Please feel free to contact our department for any of the following services. Our department keeps your safety in mind at all times. 

  • Lost and Found

    The UM-Dearborn Police Department receives all lost and found articles on campus. If an item is lost or found on campus, contact the department by calling 593-9953. An officer will respond to pick up the found item. The department maintains a log of all reported lost items. All attempts to return found property to the owner will be made.

    Unclaimed property held by the department over 90 days will be handled as follows:

    When the owner of found property cannot be identified, it will be returned to the person who found it. Exceptions: Employees whose job functions include providing a clean, maintained, and safe environment are not able to claim found articles, even after the 90-day waiting period. Department of Public Safety, Facilities Management and other employees who are entrusted with a higher level of access to campus areas are prohibited from receiving unclaimed found articles.

    Unclaimed property will be donated to a local charity.

  • Motorist Assistance

    Motorist Assistance
    If you experience car trouble on campus, call the UM-Dearborn Police Department. The department is available to assist you with such problems as:

    • Dead car batteries
    • Frozen door locks
    • Lost cars
    • Keys locked in the car
    • Flat tires

    Provide your location and the make, model, year, color, and license plate number of your vehicle. If possible, lift the hood and stand by your vehicle. Public Safety personnel will respond and assist you as soon as possible.

  • Medical Assistance

    Medical Assistance
    Emergency requests for medical treatment and ambulance service should be directed to the UM-Dearborn Police and Public Safety Department, using the emergency 9-1-1 number or by using an Emergency Phone. The department will provide basic first aid and will contact the Emergency Medical System (EMS) if necessary.

  • Automobile Accident Reports

    Automobile Accident Reports
    If you or someone you know is involved in an automobile accident on campus, call the UM-Dearborn Police Department immediately. The UM-Dearborn Police Department  is qualified to take accident reports. You can contact the Department of Public Safety via any of the blue light emergency telephones located throughout campus, by dialing 9-1-1 from any campus phone or by dialing direct at (313) 593-5333. Indicate the parking lot you are in, whether there are any injuries, the make, model, and color of the vehicles involved.

  • Emergency Notifications

    Emergency Notifications
    If you are on campus and need to be contacted in regard to an emergency situation, contact can be made with the UM-Dearborn Police & Public Safety Department at (313) 593-5333. The dispatcher will ask the nature of the emergency in an attempt to determine if the emergency constitutes your immediate removal from class or if the notification can take place at the beginning or end of your class. The name and telephone number of the caller will be taken in case the notification could not be successfully made. Emergency notifications should be limited to "true emergencies" only. Notifications will not be made for missed appointments, meetings, or lack of transportation.

  • Safety Escort Service

    Safety escort service is available 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week for all members of the University of Michigan-Dearborn community. If you need an escort, call the department at (313) 593-5333 and give your name, location, and destination. An officer will be glad to meet you and walk you to your car or other campus destination.

  • Incident Reporting

    Please contact our office to report any incidents on campus.

Police & Public Safety Department

Campus Support Services Building (CSS)
Back to top of page