New Veteran Student Information

How to get started....

Room 2174 UC
Room 2174 UC
Veteran Services office

In order to help create an atmosphere of structure and stability, Veteran Services can help military-affiliated students navigate the complexities associated with the VA and University systems.

Veteran Services works in harmony with the Office of the Registrar to ensure the proper administration of military and veteran's education programs and enrollment certifications.

Our goal is to assist active duty, veterans, and dependents of veterans, with the certification process. Eligible students are able to apply their respective benefits for their educational endeavors at UM-Dearborn with assistance from our office. Questions regarding pay and VA eligibility can be answered by calling Education Hotline at 1-888-GIBILL1 (888-442-4551).

Process Navigation Tool

We created a check-list to ease the uncertainties associated with beginning your educational journey when using VA education benefits at UM-Dearborn.

Click the links embedded in the list to ensure you complete or are aware of your responsibilities to ensure a smooth transition to the University.

Apply to the University

Apply to the university. This link will take you to the Admissions webpage. First-time users will need to create an account before completing the University Application. The application process will prompt you to order ALL transcripts from any college or university that you attended.

Note: The university will only accept "Official Transcripts". Do not procrastinate, this could delay your enrollment in the term you are applying to.

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the first day of classes each

Once admitted, check out the admitted student web pages.

Incoming Freshman Students

Transfer Student

Graduate Students

Other Admission tips...

Set up your email account. Be sure to set up and check your umich email account regularly so you will not miss important information regarding registration, required advising, and academic discipline decisions. All e-mail communication is done through your umich email account.

Check your residency status. Pay attention to your residency classification. Veterans and Active Duty who meet certain eligibility requirements for in-state tuition may temporarily receive in-state tuition (notify the Certifying Official), but an Application for Resident Classification must be submitted to make the change permanent.

The University of Michigan Residency Guidelines indicates specific eligibility criteria and instructions for filing an application. It is recommended that applications be submitted at least three months prior to the proposed term of enrollment in order to ensure a timely response.

Apply for VA Education benefits

The Application for VA Education Benefits is an external page managed by the Veterans Administration. Please ensure when applying for VA education benefits, you apply for the correct program.

When the claim (application process) is complete, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to qualified individuals. The certificate will contain basic eligibility information including months of entitlement, the period of eligibility and benefit level. The turnaround time to receive your COE from VA can take longer than 30 days.

The VA determines benefit eligibility, not the University. Please keep this in mind when deciding when to process your application. Students are responsible for outstanding balances not covered by the VA. 

If you have used VA Education Benefits at another institution, you will need to let the VA know you have changed schools. By completing a "Change of Program or Place of Training" form. A student who uses the Dependent Education Assistance (Chapter 35) will need to complete the 22-5495 form. All other VA programs will need to complete the 22-1995 form.

Do not forget, Veteran Services can assist you with this process if you have questions. 

Drop off, mail, or fax your COE form to the School Certifying Official:

Veteran Services
University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen Road, 2170 UC
Dearborn, MI 48128

Telephone: 313-436-9196
Fax: 313-593-3390

Order Military Transcripts

Order your Joint Service Transcripts (JST) or Community College of the Air Force Transcripts (CCAF). Credit for military service varies. The typical award is 2-6 units based on the recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE) Association. There are many variables that play a part in awarding credit for military service. 

Prior Learning Assessments (PLA) through the CLEP and DSST programs, credit is now offered at UM-Dearborn. Individuals desiring credit from CLEP and DSST examinations at the University must present official College Board CLEP and DSST score reports for all exams taken PRIOR to enrollment at the university.

No credit will be awarded for PLA examinations taken after the start of a student’s first semester/term of enrollment at UM-Dearborn.

For more information regarding CLEP and DSST credit, please contact the Admissions office.

Additional Specialist Training credit may be petitioned for credit via a written petition during the first semester on campus. Veterans should meet with their academic unit to discuss possible options, write a petition, and arrange to meet with a discipline representative or department chair to review the military coursework and experience.

Note that each college has its own student petition policies and forms. Please be sure you are completing the appropriate forms...



Apply for Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a source of funding that can be used in conjunction with VA Education Benefits.

When applying use the school code: 002326.

Even if you think you do not qualify for Financial Aid, it is recommended an application is submitted.

Financial Aid uses information from the FAFSA to identify students for scholarship and grant opportunities. Do not miss out...

Sign-up for Orientation and Placement exams

Upon admission to the University, all prospective students will need to visit Orientation Programs for information on placement exams and orientation dates.

The process should look like this;

Step 1: make arrangements for your placement exams and orientation.

Freshman Orientation and Placement Exam Information.

Transfer Orientation and Placement Exam Information.

Step 2: Take the required placement exams.

Step 3: Attend an orientation for academic advising and register for classes.

Once registered, you may be ready to certify your enrollment to the VA, provided you have completed all the steps leading to this point.

VA Certification Request

The Veterans Affairs Certification Request form must be completed each semester AFTER you register and are enrolled in classes. Waitlist classes cannot be certified until you are enrolled. The School Certifying Official uses the form to report your enrollment to the VA. 

Why each semester? There are students who elect to save VA education benefits for future educational endeavors. It is for this reason, an enrollment request must be made each semester you request to use VA education benefits. 

Do not forget, Veteran Services can assist you with this process if you have questions. 

Drop off, mail, email, or fax your Certification Request Form to the School Certifying Official:

Veteran Services
University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen Road, 2170 UC
Dearborn, MI 48128

Telephone: 313-436-9196
Fax: 313-593-3390

Veteran Affairs

2170C -
University Center (UC)
Back to top of page