Sonia M. Tiquia-Arashiro, Ph.D.
Biography and Education
RESEARCH AREAS: Microbial ecology, Watershed microbiology, Denitrification, Biological treatment of organic wastes and waste processing microbiology, Bioenergy and alternative fuel production by way of microbes, Microbial source tracking, Remediation of organic and metal pollutants by microorganisms and Resistance gene ecology.
PhD Institution: Environmental Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong, 1997
Teaching and Research
- BIOL 140: Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology
- BIOL/MICR 385: Microbiology
- BIOL 380: Epidemiology
- BIOL/MICR 405/505: Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- BIOL/MICR 406: Microbial genetics
- BIOL/MICR 485: Physiology of Microorganisms
- BIOL/MICR 440: Microbial Genetics and Physiology Laboratory
1. Tiquia-Arashiro, S.M. and Pant, D. (2020) Microbial Electrochemical Technologies. CRC Press. 508 p.
2. Tiquia-Arashiro, S.M. and Grube, M. (2019) Fungi in Extreme Environments: Ecological Role and Biotechnological Significance. Springer International Publishing. 626 p.
3. Tiquia-Arashiro, S.M. and Rodrigues, D. (2016) Extremophiles: Applications in Nanotechnology. Springerbriefs in Microbiology: Extremophilic Microorganisms. Springer International Publishing. 193 p.
4. Tiquia-Arashiro, S.M. (2014) Thermophilic Carboxydotrophs and their Biotechnological Applications. Springerbriefs in Microbiology: Extremophilic Microorganisms. Springer International Publishing. 131 p.
5. Tiquia-Arashiro, S.M. (2012). Molecular Biological Technologies for Ocean Sensing. Humana Press. 295 p.6. Patel D, Gismondi R, Alsaffar A and Tiquia-Arashiro SM (2019) Applicability of API ZYM to capture seasonal and spatial variabilities in lake and river sediments. Environmental Technology 40 (24) 3227-3239.
7. Tiquia-Arashiro S.M. (2018) Lead absorption mechanisms in bacteria as strategies for lead bioremediation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 102:5437–5444.
8. Oest A, Fenner M, Azzopardi D, Alsaffar A and Tiquia-Arashiro SM (2018) Patterns of Change in Metabolic Capabilities of Sediment Microbial Communities along River and Lake Ecosystems. Journal of International Microbiology. 2018:6234931. doi: 10.1155/2018/6234931.
9. Bowman N, Patel P, Sanchez S, Xu W, Alsaffar, A and Tiquia-Arashiro SM (2018) Lead-Resistant Bacteria from Saint Clair River Sediments and Pb Removal in Aqueous Solutions. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 102: 2391–2398.
10. Qin W, Amin SA, Lundeen RA, Heal KR, Martens-Habbena W, Turkarslan S, Urakawa H, Costa KC, Hendrickson EL, Wang T, Beck DAC, Tiquia-Arashiro S.M., Taub F, Holmes AD, Vajrala N, Berube PM, Lowe TM, Moffett JW, Devol AH, Baliga NS, Arp DJ, Sayavedra-Soto LA, Hackett M, Armbrust EV, Ingalls AE, and Stahl DA (2017) Stress response of a marine ammonia-oxidizing archaeon informs physiological status of environmental populations. ISME Journal. 12: 508–519. (Contribution: Performed the microarray assay. Analyzed data. Edited manuscript.
11. Pomaranski, E. and Tiquia-Arashiro S.M. (2016) Butanol tolerance of carboxydotrophic bacteria isolated from manure composts. Environmental Technology 37: (15) 1970–1982.
12. Flood M, Frabutt D, Floyd D, Powers A, Ezegwe U, Devol A, and Tiquia-Arashiro, S.M. (2015) Ammonia-oxidizing bacteria and archaea in sediments of the Gulf of Mexico. Environmental Technology. 36: 124–135.
Awards and Recognition
UM-Dearborn Distinguished Research Award, 2010