Your START Advising

Your START advisor can help you with understanding your degree requirements, choosing a major, planning for next semester, connecting with campus resources, and more. All START students are required to meet with their advisor at least once a semester. 

Your College

Even though you are advised by START, you are still a member of a college: College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters; College of Education, Health, and Human Services; and College of Engineering and Computer Science. New student advisors are college advisors.  Not only do the new student advisors have the same knowledge, training, and experience as the college advisors, some of the new student advisors advise both in the college and START Advising.

As a student, you will have to know and abide by their specific policy and procedures. Your college has an informational website that you should peruse. Be sure to spend particular time exploring the policy information posted on your college’s website! You will be expected to know this information and abide by it. If you have questions regarding any policies or procedures posted on your college’s website, please ask your START advisor!

College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters

The College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters, known as CASL (pronounced castle), is home to 38 undergraduate liberal arts majors, ranging from Anthropology to Biology to Women’s and Gender Studies. The College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters Advising and Academic Success office’s website has curriculum information for all majors, minors, and certificates offered through CASL. It also has very detailed information policy and procedure information, which you need to know. Be sure to read through the Summary of Most Commonly Used Policies in its entirety. Yes, it’s long, but it is incredibly important.

College of Business

The College of Business (COB) offers a Bachelor of Business Business Administration degree program with nine major options.  Visit the Undergraduate Programs website and review information for Newly Admitted Students.  COB students must also be aware of policies and procedures and are encouraged to browse the experiential opportunities available in the college.


College of Education, Health, and Human Services

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services (CEHHS-pronounced chess) houses programs for those interested in careers within the K-12 school system and other education-related fields (Elementary and Secondary Certification Programs, Instructional Technology, Children and Families, etc), as well as programs created to serve the health and well-being of our community (Health and Human Services, Health Policy Studies, Addiction Studies Certificate, etc). CEHHS’s website has information on all of their undergraduate programs, policies, and helpful information on common college terms and frequently used forms.

College of Engineering and Computer Science

The College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) houses 11 undergraduate degree programs and two concurrent degree programs. As a CECS student, it is important to take time to get to know the CECS advising website. In here, you will find the CECS policies and procedures, as well as sample sequences and curriculum sheets for all of our majors. You will be held responsible for knowing the policy and procedure information, so look over it carefully and ask questions when you have them.

Additional Advising Information


When a student petitions, they are asking for an exception to a policy or requirement. 

Academic Petitions

A petition may be used to request an exception to some academic rule or policy. This page provides information on the campus-wide Academic Petitions Policy as well as a link to submit academic petitions requests. 

Visit Student Petitions for more information.

Other Petitions

Petitions regarding tuition and fees go through Office of the Registrar.

START students who are unsure how to write an academic petition may meet with their START advisor for assistance.

Selecting a Major

Choosing a major is a process. For some students, that process is over quickly, but for others it can take several semesters. Many factors play a part in deciding a major: knowing yourself, family expectations, career path, relationships with faculty, etc. A START advisor can help you to examine which factors are going to play a key role in your decision, make sure that you have the tools you need to explore your options, and be a sounding board as you work to design the degree that will be the best fit for you.

Here are some resources that will help:

  • Degree Works can be accessed through UM-Dearborn Connect and has a "What If?" function that allows students to see the requirements for a major or minor prior to making an official change.

  • Undergraduate Studies has a list of all areas of studies available at UM-Dearborn.

  • Career Services provides resources for choosing a major. One such resource, FOCUS, is an online career assessment tool which helps students align interests and careers. After doing the assessment, you should make an appointment with a career counselor to discuss the results.

  • Occupational Outlook Handbook is a tool that allows you to explore careers by category and gives you information on entry-level education, median pay, growth potential, etc.

Declaring or Changing a Major/Minor

Once you are ready to declare a major, change your major, or add a minor, you must complete a Change of Major/Minor/Degree Form (see link below). You can turn your form in to START, and we will send it out to your college's records office for a decision.

Registration Deadlines

The Office of the Registrar publishes registration deadlines, and they will email you throughout the semester to remind you of upcoming dates. It is important to observe posted deadlines.

START Advising

2149 -
University Center (UC)
Back to top of page