First year experience

There are many opportunities at U of M-Dearborn to get involved that extend beyond the classroom.  Check out the following to get involved:

Student Success Resources

The Office of the Provost has compiled resources offered across the university to support student success both in and out of the classroom. Check out Success@Dearborn for all your academic success needs! 

Navigating Student Services

It is important to explore what offices and services are offered beyond START Advising.

Tutoring, Learning Centers, & Supplemental Instruction

UM-Dearborn offers tutoring services, as well as centers on campus that offer assistance for specific subjects.

​Supplemental Instruction (peer-assisted study sessions) are offered for many courses, particularly in the natural sciences, behavioral/social sciences, and business courses. Check your syllabi and talk to your instructors to see if your courses offer SI.

Paying for College

College is expensive, so you need to make sure you educate yourself about the cost and your options. Our Admissions office has a wonderful webpage called Paying for College filled with very useful links and information. Finishing your degree in four years has important cost benefits, which you need to know about. Check out Understanding Tuition website to find out more about how tuition works.

FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Your educational record is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, a federal law. The only information that can be provided to parties outside of the university (including parents and spouses) is that deemed by the university to be “directory information".  You must give permission in order for your parents or spouse or other family member to see your grades, schedule, and other information frequently discussed at an academic advising appointment. Consequently, if you bring a guest to an advising appointment, you must sign a release form prior to the start of the appointment. Enrollment Services has a release form that allows you to authorize the release of information from multiple offices on-campus to multiple individuals. START asks that you complete that form and submit it to Enrollment Services before you bring a guest to an appointment. Please note that the form states that academic information cannot be released over the phone.


Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has trained professionals who are ready to help. Short term counseling is available to students free of cost. Their website has detailed information on how to start working with them.

Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS)

To receive support and services for a disability in college you must register each semester with Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS)

Services for individuals with disabilities in college are different from what students experience in K-12 education. For students who received support for a disability prior to college they expect the same services to continue when they transition to higher education. Universities often have different services to accommodate individuals with disabilities than k-12 education. One major difference is college students do not have an IEP. Please contact Disability and Accessibility Services on-campus for more information

START Advising

2149 -
University Center (UC)
Back to top of page