Change in Major or Program Level

An F-1 student is admitted to the United States to work towards "the attainment of a specific educational or professional objective."

The subject matter of the objective is reported by the University in SEVIS and is on the Form I-20. A student who wishes to change his or her major field of study must comply with procedures required by the regulations to remain in status.

If, by changing majors, a student will need more time to complete his or her program than originally estimated, the procedures for Program Extension should be followed instead.

If a student is not simply changing majors, but rather changing his or her overall program level, the student must first complete the appropriate paperwork at the departmental office and obtain approval. The student should then bring the approved paperwork to the international student adviser who can update SEVIS and the I-20.

A J-1 student who would like to change their major or program level must make an appointment with an international adviser to discuss their individual circumstances.

Office of International Affairs

108 -
The Union at Dearborn
Back to top of page