How to Accept Aid


Students are able to accept loans on a term-by-term basis.  For example, the Fall Semester of a Federal Student Loan can be accepted, but leave the Winter Semester at the offered status to determine how much you will need after registration.

Accepting or Declining Awards Online
  1. VISIT         UM-Dearborn Connect
  2. Enter UniqueName and Password
  3. SELECT    Financial Aid Tab and then Financial Aid & Scholarships
  4. The Academic Year is pre-selected 
  5. SELECT    Award Offer to view current award information (Cost of Attendance, Grants and Scholarships, Federal Work-Study and Accept or Decline Loans).
  6. SELECT    Submit award decisions regarding your award


If this is your first time borrowing federal loans, you will also need to complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note at:

Accepting or Declining Awards through Email

1. Download and print the Student Decision Form

2. Complete the following:

  • Name
  • UMID
  • Year

3. Check the type of loans you would like to accept or decline. 

4. Print and provide a student written signature and date.

5. Email to


Award Appeal Request

You may appeal of your financial aid resulting from the information and documentation related to the FAFSA.  

  • If you believe that the information provided on the FAFSA was incorrect, please make an appointment with a financial aid counselor.  You should bring income and asset documentation as well as complete the Verification Worksheet for a complete review of the existing information.  Upon completing a thorough review of the original information, corrections will be made (if needed) and the financial aid award will be adjusted (if needed)
  • If your family's financial circumstances have changed for the worse, you should read about Special Circumstances to see if any could apply to you.  If it does, complete the Special Circumstances Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships with all required documentation
  • If you have special budget concerns (will live off-campus during the academic year, will acquire a computer needed for school, have special disability costs), you should complete the Budget Adjustment Appeals Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships with documentation.

Special Notes

  • All grants and some scholarships ("gift aid") are automatically accepted on your behalf. You are expected to know and understand the terms and conditions associated with each award.

  • If you have been offered loans or work-study, you must decide to accept, to decline or to reduce each of these awards.

  • Reducing or declining loans and/or work-study will not increase the amount of aid received in grants and scholarships. By accepting your award offers and receiving the funds, you are accepting responsibility to comply with all eligibility requirement.

  • Loans must be repaid after graduation or upon leaving college or enrolling at a less than half-time status (6 credits undergraduate/4 credits graduate). 

  • Work study provides funding for employment on campus and off campus for non-profit or community service employers.

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

University Center (UC)
Back to top of page