Summer Semester Update
Summer Financial Aid Application for Summer 2019!
New Federal regulations may allow a student additional Pell Grant eligibility for the Summer. Please see Grants section below for more details.
Applying for Summer Financial Aid & Scholarships
Print your Summer Financial Aid & Scholarship Application now!
The Summer Semester at UM-Dearborn is primarily composed of three enrollment periods: Summer Full (classes May-August), Summer I (classes May-June), and Summer II (classes July-August).
New Federal regulations have allowed increased access to Federal Pell Grants for the Summer semester. Students must have a 2018-2019 FAFSA on file and are encouraged to complete their 2019-2020 FAFSA for maximum Pell Grant consideration.
Example: Students who attended full-time in the Fall semester and full-time in the Winter semester will now be considered for additional Pell funds for the Summer semester courses.
Additive credit cannot be used to establish financial aid enrollment.
The deadline for submission of the Summer Financial Aid & Scholarship Application is August 9, 2019.
1. Register for your Summer Semester classes.
For loan eligibility, you must be enroll at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates)
2. Finalize your schedule and complete the summer financial aid and scholarship application.
3. Submit your Summer Financial Aid & Scholarship Application. You can use the scan station at the Information Desk, turn in at the Enrollment Services Desk, or mail to:
Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
1183 University Center
University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, Michigan 48128
- May 3, 2019: First day of charges in store
- May 12, 2019: Last day of charges in store until noon
No book charges after May 11, 2019 (at noon) and no returns after May 17, 2019.
First disbursements are available to students who have received an award notification email which includes Summer awards.
Students enrolled in Summer I (at least half-time)
- First disbursement: April 29, 2019
- Second disbursement May 2, 2019 (Tuition due date: May 22, 2019)
- Third disbursement May 20, 2019 (Tuition due date: May 22, 2019)
- e-refunds within 5 days/ checks within 14 days
Students enrolled in Summer II (at least half-time)
- First disbursement: June 27, 2019
- e-refunds within 5 days/checks within 14 days
Students enrolled in Summer Full or Summer I and Summer II (at least half-time)
- First disbursement April 29, 2019
*e-refunds within 5 days/ checks within 14 days
- Second disbursement June 27, 2019
*e-refunds within 5 days/ checks within 14 days
Refunds may be delayed if you have dropped or added a class. Funds will be held to cover wait listed classes.
Dropping classes in the Summer Semester is not treated the same way as dropping classes in the Fall or Winter Semesters. If you register for Summer I and Summer II classes, but drop your Summer II classes, the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships is required to treat this as a withdrawal. The Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation may reduce award eligibility and impact both previous and future disbursement.
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships with any questions prior to withdrawal.
Types of Aid Available for Summer
Federal Pell Grants
- New Federal regulations have allowed increased access to Federal Pell Grants for the Summer semester. Students must have a 2018-2019 FAFSA on file and are encouraged to complete their 2019-2020 FAFSA for maximum Pell Grant consideration.
- Example: Students who attended full-time in the Fall semester and full-time in the Winter semester can now be considered for additional Pell funds for the Summer semester courses, as long as they are enrolled at least half-time.
- The FastFOURward Scholarship is a scholarship initiative aimed to help students complete their degree requirements in four years! Student who apply for the FastFOURward Scholarship must have at least a 2.0 GPA, attempted 24 or more credit hours at UM-Dearborn in the 2018-2019 academic year, and enroll in 6 or more credits in the Summer Semester. Upon meeting these criteria, a $500 award will be made. Second degree students are not eligible for the FastFOURward Scholarship.
Students must complete the Summer Financial Aid & Scholarship Application to be considered for this scholarship.
Additional information for students who have renewable UM-Dearborn scholarships is located in Important Considerations.
- Federal Direct Loan
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan
- Federal Direct PLUS-Graduate Loan
- Alternative or Private Loans
- The number of months you enroll could impact how much you can borrow. A Summer I or II only as a term of enrollment has fewer months of enrollment and lesser costs in room and board as well as miscellaneous and personal expenses.
- Federal student loan aggregate maximums can impact loan eligibility.
- Dependent undergraduates can borrow up to $31,000 (no more than $23,000 in subsidized loans).
- Independent undergraduates can borrow up to $57,500 (no more than $23,000 in subsidized loans).
- Graduate students can borrow up to $138,500 and includes both undergraduate and graduate borrowing.
- Students who have been awarded UM-Dearborn Scholarships may be able to authorize the scholarship's use on the Summer Financial Aid & Scholarship Application. Use of the scholarship will be counted as one term of eligibility used. Only one university funded scholarship will be awarded for the Summer semester
For terms and conditions of awards, please visit http://www.umd.umich.edu/fa_conditionsofaward/.