Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS) at UM-Dearborn
Schedule an appointment to talk to a Disability Specialist in the Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS) who can discuss how they may be able to best assist you and your needs. Students must meet with the Disability Specialist every semester they need accommodations.
The ADA makes it unlawful to discriminate in employment against a qualified individual with a disability. Job Discrimination against people with disabilities is illegal if practiced by:
- private employers
- state and local governments
- employment agencies
- labor organizations
- labor-management committees
The part of the ADA enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) outlaws job discrimination by:
- All employers, including State and local government employers, with 25 or more employees after July 26, 1992
- All employers, including State and local government employers, with 15 or more employees after July 26, 1994
To be protected by ADA, you must have record of, or be regarded as having a substantial, as opposed to minor, impairment. A substantial impairment is one that significantly limits or restricts a major life activity such as hearing, seeing, speaking, walking, breathing, performing manual tasks, caring for oneself, learning, or working.
Knowing whether or not to disclose a disability is an issue that you will face during your job search. With a better understanding, this situation does not have to be difficult. Learn more about disclosing a disability in the workplace through the Office of Disability Employment Policy.
A reasonable accommodation is any adjustment to a job or the work environment that will enable a qualified employee or applicant with a disability to participate in the application process or perform the job functions.
To learn more about the procedure for reasonable accommodations, visit U.S Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Ability Links
- Ability Jobs
- ASD Employment Resources and Career Guide
- Bender Consulting Services
- Career One Stop
- College and Graduate School Guide for Students with Disabilities
- Disabled World
- Disability Crossing
- Disability Resource Community
- Disability Network
- Disability Works
- Diversity World Careers
- Employment With a Disability Resource Guide
- Federal Jobs
- GettingHired, Inc.
- Hire Disability Solutions
- Hire Potential
- Insight Into Diversity
- Integrate Autism Employment Advisors
- Integrate Autism Employment Advisors - Michigan Job Search Websites
- Job Search
- Michigan Works
- Michigan Disability Resources
- Service Source Network
- The Sierra Group RecruitDisability.Org
- The National Business & Disability Council (NBDC) at The Viscardi Center
- Think Beyond the Label
- United States Department of Labor Disability Resources
- US Business Leadership Network (USBLN)
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management – Disability Employment
- USA Jobs, an official website of the United States Government