Third-Party Sponsor Billing

Sponsored Students Terms and Conditions

Students whose tuition and fees are to be paid by an employer, agency, or other sponsor, must have authorization on file with the Student Accounts office. Vouchers are posted onto student accounts after the term's add/drop deadline or the 100% tuition and fees deadline

A voucher is a customized authorization form created by the student's third-party contact, stating a financial guarantee that student account charges will be paid based upon the authorizer's criteria.  A voucher can be submitted to Student Accounts via the drop box outside of the University Center building or emailed to

  • Please be aware late payment fees may not be waived for vouchers submitted after the term has ended.

Department Of Defense Tuition Assistance

In certain circumstances, Veterans Administration (VA) Tuition Assistance (TA) may be refunded to students. VA students with tuition only paid by GI Bills may qualify for a refund if they withdraw from a course while maintaining an adequate attendance rate, dependent on the number of weeks the course was active prior to the individual course withdrawl. TA funds (GoArmyEd, MyCAA, etc) will be returned to the Department of Defense on a proportional basis, in accordance with government requirements, for any selective drop course(s) or withdrawal from the term. VA students with tuition paid by GI Bills and other financial aid payment types all in the same term may have the possibility of financial aid being reduced, depending on the rules of the aid type in question. Please review the terms and conditions of each financial aid award regarding unmet need when simultaneously using a GI Bill to pay tuition and fee charges.  A refund of excess financial aid will only be issued if the award is allowable alongside the GI Bill.

VA Students (Summer Term Only)

Certifications for the Veterans Administration are processed after the Summer full drop/add registration period in May and again after the drop/add registration period in July.

Using Michigan Education Trust (MET)

The Michigan Education Trust (MET) differs from Michigan Education Savings Plan (MESP) and other 529 savings plans.  MET allows families to buy credits to pay for public colleges and universities.  MET is Michigan’s guaranteed tuition program to pre-purchase undergraduate tuition and mandatory fee expenses. 

  • Student Accounts administers the MET Program at the University of Michigan-Dearborn
  • If you have a MET contract, you will need to complete and submit Form 3181 Notice to Use MET Benefits or go online to activate MET.
  • Students must notify MET of their intent to attend University of Michigan-Dearborn prior to the beginning of their first term of attendance.
  • MET will record the college, semester and year for the student enrolled.
  • A roster will be sent to the college each semester to allow the invoicing of tuition and mandatory fees as long as the student is eligible for MET benefits.
  • MET will not pay for lab fees or course fees.
  • No additional requests to use MET funds are required (unless there is a change).
  • If you have financial aid, scholarships or grants and would like MET to cover your entire tuition and receive a refund, please send an email to  so your request can be processed.
  • Call MET at 800-638-4543 for assistance on Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Using Michigan Education Savings Program (MESP) and Other 529 Plans

MESP and standard 529 Plans allow flexibility in the use of the funds and are more like savings plans.  If a student does not attend a Michigan public school, the student is eligible for a refund of the investment.

  • MESP and other 529 Plans are administered by Student Accounts.
  • MESP is a savings plan that grows from regular contributions and investment growth.  For additional information about MESP, call 877-861-6377 or access the website at
  • Whether you have a MESP or another 529 account, you must contact the investment firm when you are ready to use the fund for educational and related expenses. 
  • The distribution from the investment firm can be sent directly to or submitted to Student Accounts.
  • The check should be in the amount the student owes for tuition and fees or the remaining balance in the savings plan. If the student's eStatement or student account balance is not available, this information can be obtained at
  • The funds must arrive on or before the 100% tuition & fees due date to avoid late fees.
  • MESP or the investment firm must be contacted each time a distribution is needed for educational or related expenses.

Student Accounts

1187 -
University Center (UC)
Back to top of page