- Ph.D., Brown University
- B.S., University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Mohammad T. Irfan and Luis E. Ortiz. "Causal Strategic Inference in a Game—Theoretic Model of Multiplayer Networked Microfinance Markets." ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation (TEAC), Vol. 6, No. 2, Article 6, 2018.
- Hau Chan and Luis E. Ortiz. "Learning Game-theoretic Models from Aggregate Behavioral Data with Applications to Vaccination Rates in Public Health." In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems (AAMAS '18), pp. 1891-1893, 2018.
- Luis E. Ortiz and Mohammad T. Irfan. "Tractable Algorithms for Approximate Nash Equilibria in Generalized Graphical Games with Tree Structure." In Proceedings of the Thirty-First AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-17), February 4-9, 2017, San Francisco, CA, USA., pp. 635--641, 2017. AAAI Press
- Luis E. Ortiz. "RESEARCH NOTE: On Sparse Discretization for Graphical Games." Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR). Accepted January 6, 2017.
- Hau Chan, Michael Ceyko, and Luis Ortiz. "Interdependent Defense Games with Applications to Internet Security at the Level of Autonomous Systems." Games, 8(1), 13, 2017.
- Jean Honorio and Luis Ortiz."Learning the Structure and Parameters of Large-Population Graphical Games from Behavioral Data." Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 16, Jun. 2015: pp. 1157-1210.
- Kota Yamaguchi, M. Hadi Kiapour, Luis E. Ortiz, and Tamara L. Berg. "Retrieving Similar Styles to Parse Clothing." Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 37, no. 5, May 1 2015: pp. 1028--1040.
- Hau Chan and Luis E. Ortiz. "Computing Nash Equilibrium in Interdependent Defense Games." In AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2015.
- Ayon Chakraborty, Luis E. Ortiz, and Samir R. Das. "Network-side Positioning of Cellular-band Devices with Minimal Effort." In IEEE INFOCOM 2015, 2015.
- Mohammad T. Irfan and Luis E. Ortiz. "Causal Strategic Inference in Networked Microfinance Economies." In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) 27, Montreal, Ontario, Canada, Curran Associates, Inc., Dec. 2014: pp. 1161--1169.
- Mohammad T. Irfan and Luis E. Ortiz. "On Influence, Stable Behavior, and the Most Influential Individuals in Networks: A Game-Theoretic Approach." Artificial Intelligence. Volume 215, Pages 79-119, October 2014.
- Utpal Paul, Luis Ortiz, Samir R. Das, Giordano Fusco, and Milind Madhav Buddhikot. "Learning Probabilistic Models of Cellular Network Traffic with Applications to Resource Management." In IEEE DySPAN, 2014.
- Hau Chan, Michael Ceyko, and Luis E. Ortiz. "Interdependent Defense Games: Modeling Interdependent Security under Deliberate Attacks." In Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), Catalina Island, CA, USA, Aug. 2012: pp. 152--162.
- Kota Yamaguchi, Alexander Berg, Luis Ortiz, and Tamara Berg. "Who are you with and where are you going?" In IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2011.
- Jean Honorio, Luis Ortiz, Dimitris Samaras, Nikos Paragios, and Rita Goldstein. "Sparse and Locally Constant Gaussian Graphical Models." In Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), 2009.
Associate Professor, Computer and Information Science
Biography and Education
Teaching and Research
Awards and Recognition
2019 NSF Research Award (IIS-1907553)
2011 NSF CAREER Award (IIS-1054541)
2008 NSF Faculty Diversity Program Award
- Member for
- 4 years 1 week