The Center for Arab American Studies (CAAS) at the University of Michigan-Dearborn encourages understanding of the history and experiences of Arab Americans and Arabic-speaking immigrants to the United States through education, research, public outreach, and cultural exchange programs. In addition to offering a minor in Arab American Studies, CAAS provides internship opportunities for students with professional, public, and community-based agencies. We foster community partnerships, encourage academic fellowships, and serve as a center for academic inquiry for scholars to investigate and share their work on the Arab American experience.
The Center promotes these goals in the following ways:
• Encourage and support research by our faculty and students.
• Showcase research findings through campus and public programs.
• Host and facilitate visiting scholars.
• Provide expertise to the media, cultural institutions, and the public sector.
• Offer courses relevant to the Arab American community and its heritage
• Foster classroom opportunities for engaged, community-based research throughout the metropolitan Detroit region.
• Promote the study of the Arab region and of diverse populations within American society.