Tornado Safety Rules
A TORNADO WATCH means a tornado could potentially develop and a TORNADO WARNING means a tornado has actually been sighted.
TO REPORT A TORNADO:
Call Public Safety at 911.
SEEK SHELTER/SAFETY IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Basement, underground excavation, and lower floor of interior hallway or corridor.
- If no basement is available, seek shelter under a sturdy workbench or heavy furniture (table or desk).
- In open country, move away from the tornado path at a right angle.
- If there is no time to escape, lie flat in the nearest depression (ditch or ravine).
AVOID THE FOLLOWING:
- Top floors of buildings.
- Areas with glass windows or doors.
- Auditoriums, gymnasiums, cafeterias or other areas with large, free span roofs.
DURING A TORNADO, KEEP THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:
- Portable or Cellular Telephone
Radio reports and the University of Michigan-Dearborn or City of Dearborn siren.