The University of Michigan (U-M) recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests. This value is reflected in the university’s privacy statement.
This privacy notice provides more detail on how University of Michigan-Dearborn collects and processes your personal information on umdearborn.edu.
The notice applies to our practices for gathering and disseminating information related to University of Michigan-Dearborn website (“we”, “us”, or “our”) and is meant to provide you an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
How We Collect Information
We collect personal information in the following circumstances:
- Direct Collection: When you directly provide it to us, such as when you enter your contact information to sign up for a newsletter, request more information, or register for an event on umdearborn.edu.
- Automated Processes: when personal information is captured through technology, such as through a session cookie placed on your computer when you visit and authenticate on our websites.
- Third-party Collection: when third-party advertising and marketing providers capture personal information through technology, such as a cookie, on our behalf.
What Type of Information We Collect
We directly collect the following personal information on the website:
- Personal information, such as name, date of birth, UMID, contact information.
- Event registration information, such as accommodations, dietary preferences, and guest information.
During a user visit to umdearborn.edu, we automatically collect and store certain information about your visit, which includes:
- The Internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using
- The date and time of visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to umdearborn.edu
We may also use third-party advertising and marketing providers such as Google Analytics and Google AdSense. Information collected through these partners includes:
- Content viewed during the visit
- Date and time of visit
- Amount of time spent on the website
- Visitor location based on IP address
- Demographic information.
How This Information is Used
We use the personal information we collect to support:
- Recruiting activities, such as hosting open house events
- Administrative tasks, such as responding to service requests
- University engagement, such as managing event RSVPs
- Website performance, such as making improvements to site navigation and content.
With Whom This Information is Shared
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as with university partners or external service providers that support business activities.
Specifically, data collected through the website may be shared with service providers in order to support our academic and recruiting activities. Examples of service providers include:
- Salesforce CRM (recruitment and admissions/support recruitment activities)
- Webform solutions, such as Google Forms, that enable polling and form submissions.
We require these service providers to keep your personal information secure, and do not allow them to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices You Can Make About Your Information
Individuals subscribed to e-newsletters and marketing communications may opt-out using the prompts in those communications.
Automated Collection: Cookies
We use “cookies” to enhance your user experience when visiting umdearborn.edu. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website.
When you access umdearborn.edu, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings: