Academic Information

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and the North Central Association of Universities and Schools. The individual academic units also hold accreditation in their specialty areas.


Currently, degrees are offered by four different Academic Units:

Please visit the Academic Unit or Undergraduate Academic Programs web pages for more information.

The time it takes to earn a degree depends on major of study, the number of credit hours taken each semester, whether attendance is year-round, and how many credit hours a program requires. The minimum number of credits required to earn a degree from the University of Michigan-Dearborn is 120.

Internships, Co-ops, and Study Abroad

Internships, co-ops, and study abroad programs are available. A student may participate in one, two, or all of these programs. In general, co-ops are paid and internships are not. However, College of Business internships are paid. The College of Education, Health, and Human Services does not have internships, but offers student teaching and pre-student teaching experiences.


In an effort to ensure that every student reaches their full academic potential, the Office of Academic Support and Outreach Services provides free tutoring in most subjects. These services are offered to all students who wish to improve their academic efficiency. The Tutoring Center can be reached at 313-593-5340.

Additional Types of Admission

The University of Michigan-Dearborn offers additional types of admission for currently enrolled High School students.

Dual Enrollment - High school students can take classes at the University of Michigan-Dearborn if they qualify for admission based on GPA and ACT or SAT scores.

IGNITE - Inspiring Gifted and Nurturing Individuals Through Enrichment, is a program for students of private high schools and home-school programs. These students may take classes at the University of Michigan-Dearborn while still in high school if they qualify for admission based on GPA and ACT or SAT scores.