Program Length, Season and Appropriate Grade Levels
- This program lasts 1-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, and can be adapted to suit your needs.
- The program is offered April - November.
- Appropriate for Grade Levels 4 - 8.
Program Description and Activities
In this program we will explore various living and non-living characteristics of soil, and investigate ways to protect and sustain soil quality. Various hands-on lab and field activities are involved.
Your students will be engaged in a multifaceted program experience that may include:
- Exploring the role of decomposition in soil formation.
- Using microscopes to view the various small creatures that are part of the soil.
- Studying the interconnections between the inorganic and organiccomponents of the soil.
- Studying the physical characteristics of soil structure.
- Investigating soil hydrology and compaction.
- Using vegetation and soil maps to explore the connection between glaciations, plant communities, soils, and agriculture in southeast Michigan.