Program Length, Season and Appropriate Grade Levels
- This program lasts 1-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, and can be adapted to suit your needs.
- The program is offered year–round.
- Appropriate for Grade Levels 3 –12.
Program Description and Activities
We will explore a forest community using the tools and concepts of plant identification, classification and ecology.
Your students will be engaged in a multifaceted program experience that may include:
- Investigating different leaf shapes, patterns, and textures.
- Distinguish between deciduous and evergreen trees.
- Studying various wildflowers to determine their unique floral structures and identification characteristics.
- Using dichotomous keys to identify a small selection of trees and shrubs from twig and branch samples.
- Observing and discussing forest ecological interrelationships.
- Using microscopes to closely examine identification features and adaptations of plants in our region.