Program Length, Season and Appropriate Grade Levels
- This program lasts 1-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, and can be adapted to suit your needs. (This program includes an outdoor walk, but indoor components are available.)
- The program is offered year–round.
- Appropriate for Grade Levels 5 – 12.
Program Description and Activities
This program introduces the concept of a watershed and explores the interconnections between human activity, watershed health, and the plant and animal communities in the Rouge River watershed.
Your students will be engaged in a multifaceted program experience that may include:
- Exploring a brief history of southeast Michigan from: glacial formation, use by Native Americans, advent of industrialization, and current management plans.
- Viewing multimedia videos including which provide a greater depth of knowledge and understanding of the Rouge River Watershed.
- Using maps on a guided walk to trace the path of water runoff.
- Observe and discuss how impervious surfaces impact the ecological quality of the Rouge River.
- Measuring water velocity at a point along the Rouge River.
- Calculating the volume of runoff from a parking lot that drains to the Rouge River.