Maple Syrup Science
In the program we will investigate the tools and techniques of making maple syrup, along with the plant physiology and seasonal changes in this region that make maple syrup production possible.
Grade Levels, Program Length, Season
- Appropriate for Grade Levels Pre-K-12
- This program lasts 1-1/2 hours and can be adapted to suit the needs of your group.
- The program is offered in March.
Program Description and Activities
Your students will be engaged in a multifaceted program experience that may include:
- Exploring the forest habitat where we tap the trees to make maple syrup.
- Using the techniques of tree identification to identify the proper trees for making maple syrup.
- Seeing actual sap from the trees being prepared into maple syrup in an outdoor sap evaporator (“sap stove”).
- Tasting a small sample of delicious UM-Dearborn produced maple syrup!