A legacy of excellence, a future of promise.
The Board of Regents and President of the University of Michigan kindly request the honor of your presence on Friday, April 12, 2019 to formally welcome Domenico Grasso as the sixth chancellor of the University of Michigan-Dearborn, with a day of academic showcases, an installation ceremony and a celebratory reception.
Schedule of Events
Thursday, April 11
11:00 a.m-1:00 p.m., University Center
UM-Dearborn students are invited to join Chancellor Grasso and his wife, Susan, for a celebratory lunch. Come enjoy great food, live music, selfies with the chancellor, discussions about the future direction of UM-Dearborn, student displays and other events.
Friday, April 12
UM-Dearborn Faculty and Student Research Showcase
9:30-11:00 a.m., Institute for Advanced Vehicle Systems Building
Faculty members and students across campus are involved in consequential research that is making an impact. At this showcase event, learn how faculty members and students are crossing disciplinary boundaries, solving today’s problems and building roads to tomorrow’s opportunities.
1-3:00 p.m., Fieldhouse
The ceremony is a longstanding tradition that serves to officially install Domenico Grasso as University of Michigan-Dearborn’s sixth chancellor. The event will honor UM-Dearborn’s legacy of excellence and celebrate the bright future ahead. An academic processional will precede the ceremony with representation from the UM-Dearborn faculty, U-M campus colleagues and other key universities across the state and country. The program will include remarks from several prominent speakers with connections to UM-Dearborn and Chancellor Grasso.
3-4:30 p.m, Fair Lane, Home of Clara & Henry Ford
Celebrate Domenico Grasso, UM-Dearborn’s sixth chancellor, at this public reception following the ceremony. Be one of the first to congratulate Chancellor Grasso and connect with colleagues and friends following this important point in UM-Dearborn’s history.
For questions, please contact the Office of the Chancellor at 313-593-5252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Visitor Information
We look forward to welcoming visitors to campus for the inauguration events. Learn more about how to get to campus, where to stay and what to do in Dearborn.
Learn more about the Chancellor and UM-Dearborn
Domenico Grasso has had an extensive career in higher education leading significant efforts in environmental research, engineering education, enrollment management, diversity and inclusion and community engagement. Read his bio to learn more, connect with him on twitter @chancegrasso, or visit his journal to see some of Chancellor's Grasso activities on campus.
Inauguration Planning Committee
Many thanks to the Inauguration Planning committee, which includes the following faculty and staff members:
- Sue Alcock, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs (interim), University of Michigan-Flint
- Marilee Benore, professor, College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters
- Elif Izberk Bilgin, associate professor, College of Business
- Keisha Blevins, chief of staff, Office of the Chancellor
- Maria Cheatham, administrative assistant senior, External Relations
- Sarah Dorchak, development associate, Institutional Advancement
- Mesut Duran, professor, College of Education, Health, and Human Services
- Bryan Earl, assistant athletics director
- Amy Finley, dean of students
- Ken Kettenbeil, vice chancellor, External Relations
- Brahim Madjahed, professor, College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Beth Marmarelli, executive director Communications & Marketing, External Relations
- Glenna Frank Miller, co-director, Office of Student Engagement
- Kevin McAlpine, vice chancellor (interim), Institutional Advancement
- Deborah Smith Pollard, professor, College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters
- Patricia Schlaff, meetings/special events manager
- Mitch Sollenberger, associate provost, Office of the Provost
- Ann Lampkin-Williams, dean, College of Education, Health, and Human Services
Inauguration Planning Working Group
Many thanks to the Inauguration Planning Working Group, which includes the following members:
- David Disney, director of unions and events services, Business Affairs
- Laura Drabczyk, director, Emergency Management
- Jim Knittel, captain, Department of Police & Public Safety
- Jackie Kortes, administrative assistant senior, Office of the Chancellor
- Vicky Opie, event services planner, Business Affairs
- Soraya Patton, associate registrar
- Karen Stone, meetings & special events assistant, Business Affairs
- Greg Taylor, television engineering senior, College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters
- Tim Wiley, interim chief, Department of Police & Public Safety