Name and Address Changes

Name and Address changes are only accepted in writing.

Name Change

A request to change your name with the University of Michigan-Dearborn must be made in writing to the Office of the Registrar. Requests are accepted via email ([email protected]) or mail. Please complete a Name Change Form and provide the legal document, i.e. driver's license, marriage certificate, social security card, etc., reflecting your new name. 

If you are an employee (faculty, staff, or student), you must also contact the Human Resources Office regarding a name change.

If you have not requested a change of name with the Social Security Administration, please apply for a new social security card with the nearest Social Security Administration Office. (Note: You will need to bring an original legal document reflecting your new name to support your request for a name change. Examples of accepted legal documents include a birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree, etc.)

Social Security Online allows you to update your Social Security Card information.

Chosen Name

The University of Michigan recognizes that as a community many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the university acknowledges that a "chosen name" can and should be used wherever possible in the course of university business and education.

Therefore, it is the policy of the university that any student may choose to identify themselves within the university's information systems with a chosen name in addition to the person's legal name. It is further understood that the person's chosen name shall be used in most university communications and reporting except where the use of the legal name is required by university business or legal need.

For more information about this topic, please visit the Chosen Name and Pronoun webpage.

How to Create/Change Chosen First Name

Chosen (Preferred) names are collected during the online application process for admission.  Chosen (Preferred) names can also be created, changed or deleted in the Student Information System (Banner):

  • Login 
  • Click on "Edit" to edit your Personal Details
  • Make your desired changes and click "Update"

Address Change

Address changes are only accepted by the Office of the Registrar. Requests may be submitted by email ([email protected]) or by mail. The Address Change form is available on our website.

If you change your address through the Student Information System, and you have applied to graduate, you must contact the Office of the Registrar to have your diploma mailing address updated. 

Please forward completed Printable Name Change and/or Address Information Form to:

University of Michigan-Dearborn
Office of the Registrar
1169 UC
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128-1491

Or email to:

[email protected]

Office of the Registrar

Outside 1600 - Social Sciences Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-583-6500
Fax: 313-593-5697