Welcome to the ELPP!
The mission of the English Language Proficiency Program (ELPP) is to provide quality English language education and an orientation to the academic culture of the United States for non-native speakers of Standard American English.
Why choose the English Language Proficiency Program?
- Quality: The University of Michigan is known all over the world for its high-quality programs. The ELPP is accredited and certified to insure students get excellent training in English. Courses are taught by highly qualified instructors with many years of experience who care about what you need to succeed!
- Diversity: The University of Michigan-Dearborn campus celebrates individual and cultural differences in a highly diverse campus community.
- Affordability: Tuition is very competitively priced to similar programs in the area. Books and course materials are included in tuition costs.
- Safety: The University of Michigan-Dearborn is ranked the #1 safest public university in Michigan.
- Opportunities: ELPP students are involved in the local community, where they practice their English with fluent English speakers. There are over 160 student organizations on campus!
- Location: Our campus includes beautiful, natural areas for walking, biking, relaxing, or studying. We are in the city of Dearborn, a uniquely international city that welcomes all people and contains many conveniences for shopping and dining as well as wonderful cultural exhibits. We are also merely 10 minutes from the historic heart of the American automotive industry- Detroit, also known as the Motor City!
- Support: Many support services are available to students, including tutoring, counseling, immigration support, career services, and more. The university library and multiple computer labs are available for ELPP students' use.
- Housing: Students can live across the street from campus without the need of a car to get to classes at The Union at Dearborn.
Is the ELPP right for you?
The ELPP is primarily designed for students transitioning to college, current college students, and adults who wish to improve their English language and academic skills in preparation for and in support of university study. Students who do not have an English language proficiency score or who have a proficiency score below academic admission requirements can improve their English proficiency by studying in our program. Our goal is to help you meet your English proficiency goals!
Special opportunities are available for select groups who may not fit the exact description above (for example, visiting scholars or international high school students enrolled in a summer course that teaches the English needed to fill out an application for an American university). For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do you apply to the ELPP?
You will need to upload the following items when submitting the application:
1. A copy of your current passport
2. A completed financial affidavit form. Please download: https://umich.box.com/s/ol8xfa32w286g4km048819uld39ch2q1
3. An original certified bank statement.
When submitting an original certified bank statement it must be mailed separately to our office:
UMD/ELPP 4901 Evergreen, FCN 237, Dearborn, MI 48128
If you are unable to upload your documents or have any questions regarding the application process, please feel free to email email@example.com
If you have previous ESL proficiency test scores (not required), please send a copy as well.
The ELPP follows the Academic calendar of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. For registration deadlines, please see https://umdearborn.edu/students/registration-records/academic-calendar-important-dates
ELPP contact information
19000 Hubbard Drive
Fairlane Center North, Suite 237
Dearborn, MI 48126-2638
4901 Evergreen Rd.
Fairlane Center North, Suite 237
Dearborn, MI 48128
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday; 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday
The English Language Proficiency Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) for the period December 2014 through December 2019 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accrediting agency. For further information about this accreditation, please contact the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation, 1001 N. Fairfax Street, Suite 630, Alexandria, VA 22314, (703) 665-3400, www.cea-accredit.org.
The ELPP is additionally a member of EnglishUSA, also known as the American Association of Intensive English Programs.