Bruce Maxim, Ph.D.
Narasimhamurthi "Nattu" Natarajan Collegiate Professor of Engineering, Computer and Information Science
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Computer and Information Science
233 Computer and Information Science Building | 4901 Evergreen Road | Dearborn, MI 48128
11-12 on Mon and Wed - by appt Tues and Thurs
Teaching Areas:Computer and Information Science, Software Engineering
Research Areas:Engineering Education, Game Design, Machine Learning, Optimization, and Intelligent Systems, Software Engineering
Biography and Education
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.S., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Teaching and Research
- Pressman, R. S. and Maxim, B. R. Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach, 9th Ed., NY, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2020.
- Lindquist, M; Maxim, B. R.; Proctor, J.; and Dolins, F. “The Effect of Audio Fidelity and Virtual Reality on the Perception of Virtual Greenspace”, Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 202, pp. 1-12, 2020.
- Rebai, S.; Kessentini, M.; Wang, H.; and Maxim, B. R. “Web Service Design Defects Detection: A Bi-Level Multi-Objective Approach”, Information and Software Technology, Vol. 121, pp. 1-48, 2020.
- Acharya, S.; Monohar, P.; Wu, P.; Maxim, B. R.; and Hansen, M. “Design, Development, and Delivery of Active Learning Tools in Software Verification & Validation Education”, Journal of Education and Learning, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.13-28, 2018.
- Mansoor, U.; Kessentini, M.; Maxim, B. R.; and Deb, K., “Multi-objective Code-smells Detection Using Good and Bad Design Examples”, Software Quality Journal,
Vol. 25 No. 2: 529-552, 2017.
- Mansoor, U.; Kessentini, M.; Maxim, B.; and Wimmer, M. “Detection of High-level Model Using Multi-Objective Search-Based Software Engineering”, Empirical Software Engineering Journal, 1-24, 2016.
- Ammari, H.M.; Gomes, N.; Jacques, M.; Maxim, B.: and Yoon, D. “Survey of Sensor Network Applications and Architectural Components”, Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks International Journal, 25 1-2: 1-44, 2015.
- B.R. Maxim and M. Turton “Use of Teams in Game Design and Software Engineering Capstone Classes”, Global Perspectives on Engineering Management, Vol. 2 No. 1, pp.21-26, 2013.
- H. M. Ammari , N. Gomes , W. Grosky , M. Jacques, B. Maxim, and D. Yoon “A Review of Applications of Wireless Sensor Networks”, Wireless Sensor Networks: Current Status and Future Trends (S. Khan, A. K. Pathan , and N.A. Alrajeh, Editors), Auerbach Publications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, USA, 2012.
- Maxim, B.R.; Turton, M.; and Nahle, W. “Work in Progress: Using Social Media to Teach Engineering Process”, Proceedings of 41st IEEE Annual Frontiers in Education Conference, Rapid City, SD, October 2011, pp. S3H1-S3H2.
- Maxim, B.R.; Sable, M.; and Cristiano, J. “Service Learning and Virtual Worlds”, Proceedings of 40th IEEE Annual Frontiers in Education Conference, Washington, DC, October 2010, pp. T2D1-T2D6.
- Maxim, B.R.; Sable, M.; Turton, M.; and Cristiano, J. “Service Learning and Computer Games”, Proceedings of Meaningful Play2010 Conference, East Lansing, MI, October 2010, pp. 1-20.
- Maxim, B.R. and Elenbogen, B. S. “Attracting K-12 Students to Study Computing,” Proceedings of 39th IEEE Annual Frontiers in Education Conference, San Antonio, Texas, October 2009, pp. M1H1-M1H5.
- Maxim, B.R. “Serious Games as Software Engineering Capstone Projects”, Proceedings of the 2008 Annual Meeting of the Association for Engineering Education, Chicago, IL, June 2008, pp.1-12.
- Shen, J., Maxim, B., Akingbehin, K. 2004. "Accurate Correction of Surface Noises of Polygonal Meshes," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2005 64: 1678-1698, 2005.
Awards and Recognition
- UMD Distinguished Digital Education Award 2020
- UM Distinguished Faculty Governance Award 2018
- Narasimhamurthi "Nattu" Natarajan Collegiate Professor of Engineering 2017
- Campus Distinguished Teaching Award 2015
- CECS Professor of the Year Designee 2013
- Campus Distinguished Community Service Award 2008
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Michigan Association of Governing Boards of Universities 1992
- State of Michigan Teaching Excellence Award 1991
- Campus Distinguished Teaching Award 1990
- Outstanding Young Man of America 1988