Hafiz Malik, Ph.D.
Biography and Education
Hafiz Malik is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Michigan – Dearborn. His research in the areas of automotive cybersecurity, deepfakes, IoT security, sensor security, multimedia forensics, steganography/steganalysis, information hiding, pattern recognition, and information fusion is funded by the National Science Foundation, National Academies, Ford Motor Company, Marelli, Inc. N.A., and other agencies. He is a recipient of the UM – Dearborn 2022 Distinguished Research Award and College of Engineering and Computer Science 2020 Excellence in Research Award. He has published over 150 articles in leading peer-reviewed journals, conferences, and workshops. He is a founding member and chief operating officer (COO) of the Global Foundation for Cyber Studies and Research, a founding member of the Cybersecurity Center for Research, Education, and Outreach at UM-Dearborn and member of leadership circle for the Dearborn Artificial Intelligence Research Center at UM-Dearborn. He is also a member of the Scientific and Industrial Advisory Board (SIAB) of the National Center of Cyber Security Pakistan. He is a member of MCity Working Group on Cybersecurity, since 2015.
Ph.D., University of Illinois At Chicago
B.S., University of Engineering & Technology
Teaching and Research
Cybersecurity, Deepfakes, Manipulated Information Detection, AI, Cyber-Physical System Security, Sensor Security, Content Authentication, Multimedia Integrity Verification, Computer Forensics
- Hassani, A.,Diedrich, J., and Malik. H., “Monocular Facial Presentation–Attack–Detection: Classifying Near-Infrared Reflectance Patterns,” Applied Science, Special Issue – Applications of Biometrics Technology in Security, Vol. 13(3), February 2023; https://doi.org/10.3390/
- Elkhail, A.A., Ibdah, D. Lachtar, N., Bacha, A., and Malik, H., “Seamlessly Safeguarding Data Against Ransomware Attacks,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC), Vol. 20(1), pp. 1-16 , January 2023
- Kolachalama, S. and Malik, H., "Neural Network Model to Predict the Thermal Operating Point of an Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0134, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/
- Hassani, A., Shair, Z.E., Refat, R.U.-D., and Malik, H., “Distilling Facial Knowledge with Teacher-Tasks: Semantic-Segmentation-Features For Pose-Invariant Face-Recognition,” 2022 IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), Bordeaux, France, 2022, pp. 741-745, doi: 10.1109/ICIP46576.2022.
- Khan, A., Irtaza, A., Javed, A., Nazir, T., Malik, H., Malik, K.M., and Khan, A.M., “Defocus blur detection using novel local directional mean patterns (LDMP) and segmentation via KNN matting,” Front. Comput. Sci. 16, 162702 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/
- Malik, K.M., Javed, A., Irtaza, A., and Malik, H. “Voice Spoofing Detector: A Unified Anti-Spoofing Framework,” Journal of Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 198, 2022, ISSN 0957-4174, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Masood, M., Nawaz, M., Malik, K.M. Javed, A., Irtaza, A., Malik, H., “Deepfakes Generation and Detection: State-of-the-art, open challenges, countermeasures, and way forward,” Applied intelligence, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- Mohammadi, A., Rahmati, M., and Malik, H., "Location-Aware Beamforming for MIMO-Enabled UAV Communications: An Unknown Input Observer Approach," in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 8206-8215, April 15, 2022, doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2022.3157555
- Kolachalama, S. and Malik, H., “Intelligent vehicle drive mode which predicts the driver behavior vector to augment the engine performance in real-time,” Data-Centric Engineering, Cambridge University Press, Vol. 3, April 7, 2022, doi: https://www.doi.org/10.1017/
- Mohammadi, A., and Malik, H., “Vehicle Lateral Motion Stability Under Wheel Lockup Attacks,” in the Proc. of Int. Workshop on Automotive and Autonomous Vehicle Security 2022 (AutoSec’22), June 2022, San Dieg, CA, DOI:10.14722/autosec.2022.
- Mohammadi, A., and Malik, H., and Abbaszadeh, M., “Generation of Wheel Lockup Attacks on Nonlinear Dynamics of Vehicle Traction,” in the Proc. of Int. Workshop on Automotive and Autonomous Vehicle Security 2022 (AutoSec’22 [Best Paper Award Runner up]
- Bellaire, S.R., Bayer, M., Hafeez, A., Refat, R.-D. and Malik, H., “Fingerprinting ECUs to Implement Vehicular Security for Passenger Safety using Machine Learning Techniques,” in Proc. of Intelligent Systems Conference (IntelliSys) 2022, September 1-2, 2022, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Hassani, A., and Malik, H., “Efficient Face-Swap-Verification Using PRNU,” in the Proc. of 7th IEEE Conference on Data Science and Machine Learning Applications, 2020 (CDMA’22), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on March 01-03, 2022.
- Refat, R.-D., Elkhail, A.A., and Malik, H., “A Lightweight Intrusion Detection System for CAN Protocol Using Neighborhood Similarity,” in the Proc. of 7th IEEE Conference on Data Science and Machine Learning Applications, 2020 (CDMA’22), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on March 01-03, 2022.
- Hassani, A., Malik. H., and Diedrich, J., “Efficiently Mitigating Face-Swap-Attacks: Compressed-PRNU Verification with Sub-Zones,” Technologies, 2022; 10(2):46. https://doi.org/10.3390/
- Khan, A., Javed, A., Malik, K.M., Anas, M., Ryan, J., Saudagar, A,K.J., Malik, H., “Towards Realigning Automatic Speaker Verification In the Era of COVID-19,” Sensors (Basel), 2022 Mar 30;22(7):2638. doi: 10.3390/s22072638
- Abu Elkhail, A., Refat, R., Habre, R. Hafeez, A., Bacha, A., and Malik, H., “Vehicle Security: A Survey of Security Issues and Vulnerabilities, Malware Attacks and Defenses,” Vol. 9, pp. 162401 – 162437, IEEE Access, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3130495
- Javed, A., Malik, K.M., Irtaza, A., and Malik, H., “Towards Protecting Cyber-Physical and IoT Systems from Single- and Multi-order Voice Spoofing Attacks,” Applied Acoustics, Vol. 183, December 2021, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Aljasem, M., Irtaza, A., Malik, H., Saba, N., Javed, A., Malik, K.M., and Meharmohammadi, M., “Secure Automatic Speaker Verification (SASV) System through sm-ALTP Features and Asymmetric Bagging,” IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (TIFS), vol. 16, pp. 3524-3537, 2021, doi: 10.1109/TIFS.2021.3082303
- Mohammadi, A., Malik, H., and Akbas, M.A., “Cybersecurity in Connected and Autonomous Vehicles II,” in the Proc. of IEEE American Control Conference, 2020 (ACC’22), Atlanta, GA, USA, March 2022.
- Kolachalama, S., and Malik, H., “A NARX model to Predict Cabin Air Temperature to Ameliorate HVAC Functionality,” Preprints 2021, 2021100356 doi: 10.20944/preprints202110.0356.
- Lachtar, N., Alkhail, A.A., Bacha, A., and Malik, H. “An Application Agnostic Defense Against the Dark Arts of Cryptojacking,” in the Proc. of IEEE/IFIP Int. Conf. on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), 2021.