Jaerock Kwon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Electrical and Computer Engineering
2069 Engineering Lab Building | 4901 Evergreen Road | Dearborn, MI 48128
Teaching Areas:Computer Engineering, Robotics Engineering
Research Areas:Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Optimization, and Intelligent Systems, Neuroscience, Robotics
Biography and Education
Ph.D. in Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA
M.Sc. in Electronic Communication Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
B.Sc. in Electronic Communication Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
Teaching and Research
Computer Engineering, Robotics Engineering
Awards and Recognition
- MRI: Acquisition of Autonomous Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle Platform for Multidisciplinary Research and Education at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, National Science Foundation, $244,610.00, (PI), 9/1/2022 – 8/31/2025
- AI System Security Detection Monitoring Research, Ford Motor Company, $199,731.00, (co-PI), 4/1/2022 – 3/31/2024
- Development of Markerless 3D Human Motion Capture Framework from 2D Videos Using Deep Learning, ADVANCE Grant Program, Michigan State Economic Development Corporation, $20,000.00, (PI), 2022
- Detection and tracking of vehicles using Lidar point clouds for autonomous lane-changing system, Hyundai MOBIS Technical Center North America, $50,000.00, (co-PI), 5/31/2021 – 11/30/2021
- Cooperative Perception and Navigation for Multiple Vehicles Using Deep Neural Network, Korea-US International Joint Research Project sponsored by Institute for Information and Communications Technology Promotion (IITP), Korea, $41,617.00, (PI), June 2020 – May 2021
- Development of Autonomous Vehicle Research Platform using Deep Learning and Robot Operating System, Korea-US International Joint Research Project sponsored by Institute for Information and Communications Technology Promotion (IITP), Korea, $21,027.00, (PI), Jan 2020 – June 2020
- Markerless 3D Human Motion Inference Framework from 2D Videos using Deep Learning, Research Initiation & Development Grant by University of Michigan-Dearborn, $15,000.00, (PI), May 2020 – April 2022
- Faculty Research Fellowship, Development of Experimental Setup for Evaluating Vehicular Communication System (V2X), Kettering University, 2018.
- Provost’s Research Matching Fund, Development of Low-Cost Autonomous Vehicle Experimental Platform, Kettering University, 2017
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Kettering University, 2016 in recognition of significant contributions in the areas of Computational Neuroscience and Neurobotics.
- Faculty Research Fellowship, A Touch-Enabled Virtual Room for Scientific Data Exploration, Kettering University, 2015.
- Development of High-Throughput and High-Resolution Three-Dimensional Tissue Scanner with Internet-Connected 3D Virtual Microscope for Large-Scale Automated Histology (NSF Award No. ECCS-1337983, PI: Kwon) 2013 - 2017.
- Kettering University Innovation Fellow, 2013
- Oswald International Faculty Fellowships, Kettering University, 2010 - 2011.
- Travel Grant for IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2007.
- SK Employee Award, MPR/S division, An Excellent Employee, SK Teletech, 2001.
- Graduate fellowship from LG Electronics Co., Ltd. (Two-year full-tuition), 1992 - 1993.
- Undergraduate fellowship from LG Electronics Co., Ltd. (Two-year full-tuition), 1990 - 1991
- Academic Merit Scholarship, 1988