Joe Fujiou Lo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Department of Mechanical Engineering
3057 Engineering Lab Building | 4901 Evergreen Road | Dearborn, MI 48128
Teaching Areas:Bioengineering, Mechanical Engineering
Research Areas:Bioengineering, Nano Electronic and Photonic Materials and Devices
Biography and Education
Areas of Research Interests
- Gas microfluidics for hypoxia, intermittent hypoxia applications in cells and tissue
- Fluorescence lifetime biophotonics and microscopy
- Nanoplasmonic high-throughput droplet microassays
- Artificial pancreatic islets for diabetes research
- Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and microoptics integration
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California
B.S., Bioengineering, University of California, at Berkeley
- Z Zhao, MA Al-Ameen, K Duan, G Ghosh, JF Lo, “On-chip porous microgel generation for microfluidic enhanced VEGF detection,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2015,74:305-312.
- R Liu, Z Zhao, L Zou, Q Fang, L Chen, A Argento, JF Lo, “Compact, non-invasive frequency domain lifetime differentiation of collagens and elastin,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2015.04.124.
- Z Li, D Hi, Z Zhao, M Zhou, R Liu, JF Lo, " Balancing Diffusion and Convection in a Spiral Oxygen Gradient Modulates Fibroblast VEGF," Biomedical Microdevices 2015, 17(1): p1-9.
- M Nourmohammadzadeh*, JF Lo*, M Bochenek, JE Mendoza-Elias, Q Wang, Z Li, L Zeng, M Qi, DT Eddington, J Oberholzer, and Y Wang, ”Microfluidic Array with Integrated Oxygenation Control for Real-Time Live-Cell Imaging: Effect of Hypoxia on Physiology of Microencapsulated Pancreatic Islets,” Analytical Chemistry 2013, 85 (23): 11240-11249. *equal contributions.
- JF Lo, M Brennan, Z Merchant, L Chen, DT Eddington, LA DiPietro, “Microfluidic Wound Bandage: Localized Oxygen Modulation of Collagen Maturation,” Wound Repair and Regeneration 2013, 21(2):226-234.
- JF Lo, Y Wang, A Blake, G Yu, TA Harvat, H Jeon, J Oberholzer, DT Eddington, “Islet Preconditioning via Multimodal Microfluidic Modulation of Intermittent Hypoxia,” Analytical Chemistry 2012, 84 (4): 1987–1993.
- JF Lo, P Butte, Q Fang, SJ Chen, T Papaioannou, ES Kim, M Gundersen, L Marcu, “Multilayered MOEMS Tunable Spectrometer for Fluorescence Lifetime Detection,” Photonics Technology Letters 2010, 22(7):486-8.