Rafael Ruiz, Ph.D.
Teaching Areas:Mechanical Engineering
Biography and Education
Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame - ND (January 2016) and Pontificia
Universidad Católica de Chile - PUC
Double Doctorate Program.
Dissertation title: A New Type of Tuned Liquid Damper and its Effectiveness in
Enhancing Seismic Performance: Numerical Characterization, Experimental
Validation, Parametric Analysis and Life-cycle Cost Based Design.
Teaching and Research
• Reliability-Based Selection of Manufacturing Tolerance.
• Design/modeling/optimization of mechanical devices for vibration control.
• Surrogate modeling for efficient analysis/design/optimization of complex engineering
• Stochastic optimization, uncertainty quantification, advanced stochastic simulation.
• Bayesian approaches for model validation and system identification.
• Multi-functional metamaterial design and modeling.
• Design and optimization of piezoelectric energy harvesters.