The chalking of sidewalks is allowed at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, given it meets the standards below. Any individual or group in violation of the chalking policy will be held responsible for their actions.
- Chalk cannot be used within 25 feet of any building entrance or exit.
- Chalk may only be used on University sidewalks.
- Chalk may not be used underneath any covering where chalk would not be washed away by precipitation.
- The material used to mark a sidewalk must be water-soluble (sidewalk chalk)
- The use of markers, paints, oil-based products, or sprayable chalk or other products in aerosol containers is prohibited.
- The University has no responsibility for maintaining or removing chalk placed on sidewalks.
- These drawings/language may not be destructive or libelous in any way.
Policy owned by: Office of Student Life
Last Reviewed: 1/2020
Last Updated: 1/2020
Next Review: 9/2021