Advisor Policy for Student Organizations
University of Michigan-Dearborn requires that all student organizations have an advisor. An advisor must be an employee of the University of Michigan-Dearborn, either as a full-time faculty member or full-time staff member. Student organizations are run and managed by students themselves; however, advisors play a key role in offering guidance, advice and continuity.
The duties of an advisor include:
- Providing resources for events and assistance in the administration of the financial affairs of the group.
- Commitment to student learning and the mission of the University.
- Familiarity with the mission, goals, and purposes of the organization.
- Work with the treasurer to oversee organization budgets and sign off on large organization purchases.
- Ensure all organization activities are compliant with the University of Michigan-Dearborn policies including, but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct and all Office of Student Life processes.
- Direct student leaders to the Office of Student Life when inquiring about contracts and for speakers, performers, movie showings, large scale event planning, fundraisers, raffles, etc.
- Understand that as an employee of a public institution all advisors are subject to the constraint of the federal Constitution, state and local laws.
- Serve as a personal role model.
In turn, the organization should:
- Consult with the advisor on a regular basis (i.e. bi-weekly meetings, etc.)
- Consistently update the advisor with organizational activities/events/fundraisers, etc.
- Invite the advisor to group meetings and events
Together, the President and the Advisor should:
- Review the organization’s constitution.
- Understand the financial status of the organization.
- Set general expectations for the advisor and student relationship.
For additional information, please contact the Office of Student Life.
If you are a faculty or staff member interested in serving as an advisor for a campus registered student organization, fill out this form and the Office of Student Life will assist in connecting you with organizations in need of an advisor.