The University of Michigan-Dearborn provides a scholarship valued at 20% of tuition and fees for public safety employees at partnering organizations. The scholarship is available for degree-seeking students and can be used for undergraduate and graduate programs.
Current Participating Public Safety Organizations:
- Allen Park Police Department
- City of Dearborn Heights
- Dearborn Police Department
- Dearborn Fire & Law Departments, and the 19th District Court
- Detroit Police Department
- Farmington Hills Police Department
- Huron Township Police Department
- Lathrup Village Police Department
- Macomb County Sheriff’s Department
- Michigan Department of State Police
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office
- Novi Police Department
- Oakland County Circuit Court
- Oakland County Sheriff’s Office
- Plymouth Township & City of Plymouth
- Southfield Police Department
- Taylor Police Department
- Third Judicial Circuit Court of Michigan
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Transportation Security Administration
- Washtenaw County Circuit Court
- Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office
- Wayne County Sheriff’s Office
- Woodhaven Police Department
Overview of the Process
- The employee applies for admission, and if criteria are met, is admitted.
- The employee, civilian or sworn, must follow the normal process and requirements of the respective public safety tuition support program.
- The employee, civilian or sworn, requests an employment verification letter from their Human Resources Department.
- The Human Resources Department must fax the letter to UM-Dearborn's Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (Fax: 313-593-5313 to the attention of Sabrina Guyton).
- Upon receipt, the Office of Financial Aid will award the Community Service Personnel Scholarship by posting it to the student's account.
The student is responsible for paying tuition by the stated deadline for that semester. The student should pay the full tuition amount minus 20%.
When the Community Service Personnel Scholarship is initially posted to the student's award, an estimated dollar amount will be listed. Typically, 10 days before the start of a semester, 20% of the tuition and fees will be automatically calculated and posted to the student's account. This value of the scholarship is based on 20% of tuition and fees for all courses enrolled. The amount of the scholarship is subject to change based on any changes in class schedule or employment. Institutional scholarships of greater value or that offer greater flexibility in terms will supersede the Community Service Personnel Scholarship.