University of Michigan-Dearborn Employee Scholarship
Overview and Guidelines
The University of Michigan-Dearborn provides a scholarship valued at 25% of tuition and fees for all U-M employees (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint, & Health System). The scholarship is available for degree-seeking students at the Dearborn campus and can be used for undergraduate and graduate programs. Guest and doctoral students are not eligible.
This scholarship will work in conjunction and in addition to the 75% tuition and fees provided with U-M Tuition Support Policy to equal 100% tuition and fee support up to the approved departmental support. There is not a limit to the number of credit hours per term for the scholarship. Students are also eligible to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and receive consideration for financial aid.
Employees must be appointed as a regular (not temporary) part time and/or full time staff/faculty at the University of Michigan (at a 50% and higher appointment) and are required to complete the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship Application each term.
These employees shall be allowed to enroll in any undergraduate or graduate course at UM-Dearborn for which they have the appropriate prerequisites, under the following conditions:
1. Employees are required to apply for this scholarship through UM-Dearborn’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (firstname.lastname@example.org) using the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship Application. As needed, the Human Resources Department will provide confidential staff and faculty employment verification (active status, regular appointment confirmation and effort level) to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to assist in determining an applicant’s eligibility. The deadline to submit the application is no later than the first day of the term.
2. The scholarship will be applied to tuition and fees only. All other educational costs are the responsibility of the student.
3. The applied UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship precedes any other institutional scholarship or grant aid awarded to the participant. Institutional scholarships of greater value or that offer greater flexibility in terms will supersede the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship.
4. There is no limit to the number of credits which may be taken each semester.
5. Participants shall be subject to all applicable academic policies governing students at UM-Dearborn.
6. The UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship will be evaluated on a regular basis to determine whether the scholarship shall be continued.
- Eligibility begins on an employee’s first day of regular employment at U-M (at a 50% and higher appointment.)
- Employees are required to apply in advance to receive the scholarship award for future semesters, not retroactively.
- If a staff or faculty member separates employment prior to the beginning of a semester, the University reserves the right to revoke or not award the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship. If an employee separates employment after the begin date of a semester, the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship will continue through that semester.
Process for Consideration and Continued Eligibility
- In addition to applying for admission via Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions and being accepted to the University of Michigan-Dearborn, the student must submit the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship Application to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to be considered for the UM-Dearborn Employee Scholarship.
- To maintain this scholarship, the recipient must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Overview of the Process
1. The employee applies for admission, and if criteria are met, is admitted.
2. The employee submits the UM-Dearborn Scholarship Application to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (email@example.com) each term to be considered for the U-M Employee Scholarship.
3. The employee, must follow the approval process and requirements of their respective U-M department and the SPG for departmental reimbursement.
4. Typically, 10 days before the start of a semester, 25% of the tuition and fees will be automatically calculated and posted to the student's account. The value of the scholarship is based on 25% of tuition and fees for all courses enrolled. The amount of the scholarship is subject to change based on any changes in class schedule or employment.
5. The employee will be required to pay their portion by the due date . Questions about the employee amount owed, should be directed to Student Accounts.
Contact for additional information
Sabrina Guyton at firstname.lastname@example.org