- Advanced energy conversion in automotive systems
- Internal combustion engine processes and systems
- Hybrid powertrain systems
- PEM fuel cell systems
- Vehicle thermal management and system integration
- S. Yu, and D. Jung, “Thermal Management Strategy for a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell System with a Large Active Cell Area,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 33, No. 12, pp 2540– 2548, 2008.
- D. Jung, S. Yu, and D. N. Assanis, “Modeling of a PEM Fuel Cell with a Large Active Area for Thermal Behavior Analysis,” Technical Brief, Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol. 5, Iss. 4, 2008.
- D. Jung, W. L. Wang, A. Knafl, T. J. Jacobs, S. Jack Hu, and D. N. Assanis, “Experimental Investigation of the Abrasive Flow Machining Effects on Injector Nozzle Geometries, Engine Performance and Emissions in a DI Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol.9, No. 1, pp 9-15, 2008.
- D. Jung, W. L. Wang, and S. Jack Hu, “Microscopic Geometry Changes of DI Diesel Injector Nozzle due to Abrasive Flow Machining Process and a Numerical Investigation of its Effects on Engine Performance and Emissions,” Journal of Power and Energy (Proceedings of IMechE Part A), Vol. 222, No. 2, pp 241-252, 2008.
- D. Jung and D. N. Assanis, “A Reduced Quasi-Dimensional Model to Predict the Effect of Nozzle Geometry on Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” Journal of Automobile Engineering (Proceedings of IMechE Part D), Vol. 222, No. 1, pp 131-141, 2008.
- H. Cho, D. Jung, Z. S. Filipi, D. N. Assanis, J. Vanderslice and W. Bryzik, “Application of Controllable Electric Coolant Pumps for Fuel Economy and Cooling Performance Improvement,” ,” ASME J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 129, Issue 1, pp 239-244, 2007.
- D. Jung and D. N. Assanis, “Quasidimensional Modeling of Direct Injection Diesel Engine Nitric Oxide, Soot and Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions,” ASME J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 128, Issue 2, pp 388-396, 2006.
- Z. Filipi, H. Fathy, J. Hagena, A. Knafl, R. Ahlawat, J. Liu, D. Jung, D. Assanis, H. Peng and J. Stein, “Engine-in-the-Loop Testing for Evaluating Hybrid Propulsion Concepts and Transient Emissions – HMMWV Case Study,” 2006 SAE Transactions: Journal of Commercial Vehicles, Vol.115, Sec. 2, pp. 23-41, 2006.
- H. Cho, D. Jung and D. N. Assanis, “Control Strategy of Electric Coolant Pumps for Fuel Economy Improvement,” International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp 269-275, 2005.
- D. Jung and D. N. Assanis, “Modeling of Direct Injection Diesel Engine Emissions for a Quasi-Dimensional Multi-Zone Spray Model,” International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol.5, No. 3, pp 165-172, 2004.
- D. Jung and D. N. Assanis, “Reduced Quasi-Dimensional Combustion Model of the Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Performance and Emissions Predictions,” KSME International Journal, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp.865-876, 2004.
- Z. Li, M. Kokkolaras, D. Jung, P. Papalambros, and D. Assanis, “An Optimization Study of Manufacturing Variation Effects on Direct Injector Design with Emphasis on Emissions,” SAE 2004 Transactions: Journal of Material & Manufacturing, Vol.113, Sec. 4, 2004.
Biography and Education
Prof. Jung has over 25 years of professional and academic experiences in automotive engineering. He has co-authored over 65 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers, and articles. Prof. Jung has developed 31 funded research and educational programs as the principal investigator (PI) and Co-PI with the total amount of awards over $3 million during his academic career. He is the recipient of the Distinguished Research Award from the University of Michigan-Dearborn in 2012. Sponsors include BorgWarner, Constellation Energy Group, Denso, Ford, General Dynamics Land Systems, GM, HATCI, Hyundai-Kia Motors, NSF, US DoE, US Army TARDEC.
Areas of Research Interests
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2001
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea, 1991
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea, 1989
Teaching and Research
- Member for
- 2 years 10 months