University of Michigan-Dearborn is an inclusive, student-focused institution. We are committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research and scholarship, as well as access, affordability and metropolitan impact.
Founded on more than 200 beautiful acres of the original Henry Ford Estate, UM-Dearborn was forged in a community of working people with the global economy in mind.
We offer a transformative education reflective of University of Michigan acclaim and rooted in an ongoing commitment to transform metropolitan Detroit. Since our inception, we have set ourselves apart in higher education through intentional, meaningful engagement with local industry, government and nonprofits.
UM-Dearborn is rich in opportunities for independent and collaborative research, integrated learning and civic engagement. We are responsive to the changing needs of our diverse student body, the world in which they live and work, ever-advancing technologies, and a knowledge-based global economy.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Empowering student learning through broad and deep interaction with the liberal arts and sciences, professional studies and cutting-edge research;
- Applying innovative pedagogies to advanced teaching and learning;
- Building the knowledge and skills essential for personal transformation, professional success and advancing the common good;
- Creating and sharing knowledge through pioneering research and maximizing our partnerships with diverse sectors of our community;
- Fostering a dynamic environment where innovation, openness and creativity flourish;
- Preparing our graduates to become engaged citizens and creative leaders, ready to offer inventive solutions to regional, national and global challenges;
- Forging mutually beneficial partnerships with businesses, community-based organizations, educational institutions and government agencies;
- Striving to be the institution of choice in southeast Michigan for individuals and organizations that value accessibility, flexibility, affordability, diversity, inclusion and preeminence in research, scholarship, education and engagement.
UM-Dearborn students, faculty and staff have many opportunities to advance the mission through partnerships on campus and in the community.
Our Metropolitan Vision
In service to creating positive change in southeast Michigan, our vision is to earn national recognition as a dynamic metropolitan university where teaching and research interact, in an inclusive environment, to develop future leaders and new knowledge.
UM-Dearborn embodies much of the diversity of metropolitan Detroit, and the campus has been devoted to creating an atmosphere of inclusiveness that allows every member of the community to feel welcome and at home. Student organizations have embraced this mission of inclusiveness, and UM-Dearborn demonstrates a superior level of inter-group understanding and learning through national student surveys of engagement.
Recognizing the competitive nature of the global economy, we create educational and social value, advance economic prosperity and promote environmental sustainability in the metropolitan region through four core strategies:
Deepen Academic Excellence by:
1. increasing investments in faculty resources;
2. adopting innovative pedagogies;
3. and advancing research and scholarship that has a productive impact on the region and world.
Enhance Student Engagement and Success by:
1. establishing a premier university-wide alliance for student development;
2. cultivating a hub for creativity, career creation and entrepreneurship;
3. and increasing opportunities for engaged and integrated learning, thus preparing students to be innovative leaders and responsible global citizens.
Strategically increase Enrollment and External Funding to:
1. grow the region’s college-educated population;
2. support the ability of students to participate in higher education;
3. develop relevant new programs;
4. and extend our reputation for excellence in research and undergraduate, graduate and professional education.
Achieve Metropolitan Impact by:
1. focusing the university’s attention and expertise on the opportunities and challenges of the metropolitan region;
2. establishing a national reputation as a campus that contributes to the larger community and educates students to recognize and appreciate differences across social and cultural boundaries, thereby thriving in and contributing to an increasingly diverse world.
UM-Dearborn Difference Maker
Did You Know?More Facts
Nearly half of our students are the first in their family to attend college.