Resources for Students
A variety of writing resources and materials.
Formatting and Citation Tools
These are some resources available in multi-media formats to assist with formatting your papers, projects, and citations.
- A video and text format of the Modern Language Association (MLA) 9th edition citation guide provided by CSUDH with an example paper
- How to cite an article in MLA 9 video walkthrough
- PDF of the MLA 9th Edition Handbook
- A table with examples of citable materials for an MLA Works Cited page
- Tutorial: MLA 9 at the University of Memphis
- This tutorial will take you step-by-step through the elements of an MLA 9 citation.
- MLA Works Cited page video
- Library of Congress MLA and Chicago guides for multiple sources such as Essays, Websites, Films, Oral History Interviews, and more
- A video and text format of the Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition citation guide provided by CSUDH
- A table with examples of citable materials for an Chicago bibliography page
- A video and text format of the American Psychological Association (APA) Style for references and citations
- What is APA Citation?
- Definition, history, and organization of APA format provided by Chegg
- A public Google Doc to aid in creating a reference list
- A table with examples of citable materials for an APA reference page
- APA Style Website
- Here you will find tutorials, FAQs, and other resources to help you improve your writing, master APA Style, and learn the conventions of scholarly publishing
- Another Citation Workshop (Prezi)
- This site helps students in the sciences write better lab reports.
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) offers over 200 free resources including:
- Writing and Teaching Writing
- Grammar and Mechanics
- Style Guides
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Job Search and Professional Writing
- UW-Madison Writer's Handbook
- The Writing Center at University of Wisconsin-Madison offers an online writing resource with answers and explanations to many issues of writing, composition, research, reading, citation, and grammar.
- APA Writing Tips
Chicago Format Resources
Defines the elements of Chicago/Turabian style
Offers links and material that can aid in formatting work and citations
- ESL Desk
- A selection of ESL resources to help you learn English.
- Purdue OWL: ESL
- This site features links to many sources for students and teachers.
- All ESL
- Accessible website with language acquisition resources.
Grammar, Conversation and Practical Communication
- ESL Flow
- This site offers advice for elementary, pre-intermediate, and intermediate learners.
- Many Things
- This site focuses on entry level grammar. It offers advice on slang, vocabulary, idioms, and jokes. There are also quizzes based on Voice of America’s (VOA) Special English Programs.
Developing Study Skills
- WritingDen Tips-O-Matic
- This site offers advice and practical examples for writing coherent sentences, paragraphs, and essays. These tips may also be used to create handouts for EFL writers.